Sunday, September 20, 2015

I'm Not Lost, Thank You.


Do you suppose everyone has quirks?  You know what I mean; the uncommon and peculiar or eccentric patterns unique to the person? 

Whether they (or you) do or don't, I confess I do. More than one actually.  The worst (or the best, depending on one's take) of them is wanderlust.  I've never seen a place I didn't want to visit.  In fact, I've seen very few places I wouldn't want to reside given the opportunity.  In 49 years of marriage, we have made our home in 17 different places.  It would be 25 or 30 or 50 places were jobs or bank accounts not to have impeded us.  



Between jobs and vacations, we have had many an opportunity to visit distant lands:  Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Belize and many locations right here in the U.S. It's with great affection I recall a few of them:  Fishing forays into Alaska where we competed with the eagles for a catch; or the Plumeria-scented breezes in Hawaii; or the pungent Pine of Colorado's Rockies.  Not to mention the rivers, valleys, mountains, plains and plateaus of the place we call "home", Washington State.  So, so many to recount!  Yes, I have my favorites.  But I'm always considering "where next?".   

To some it might seem I'm afflicted with discontent; not happy with where I am.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I cherish the places and people of home turf even as I'm beckoned to discover new ones. I think Christopher Colombus, Edmund Hillary or Sacajawea felt the same.  

Now that we're living in the backside of 60, my latest dream involves a travel trailer.  We don't have one. But if we did I can see us loading up again-and-again to make our way across Canada, or to spend Fall in New England, or to sniff Magnolias in the Carolinas. I can even envision meeting some of you on such sojourns.

For now, I fuel my quirk with photos.  From them & memories of days gone by, or from the virtual internet travels that act as fuel to spark my wanderlust, I dream.  I scheme.  I wander the plains of the Serengeti.  I hike along the Appalachian Trail. I break bread with new friends.  It's as if eternity itself insists upon it.

It is with great intention that I get lost.  On purpose.



All that is gold does not glitter;
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither;
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken;
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken;
The crownless again shall be king.
~ J.R.R. Tolkein


He has made everything beautiful
in its time. He has also set eternity
in the human heart; yet no one
can fathom what God has done
from beginning to end.
~ Ecclesiastes 3:11


6 comments:

Nancy said...

I have a friend who would say ditto to your every word in this post. For me, I am somewhere in between. I like to visit other countries and cultures but it doesn't occupy much of my thinking. We usually take a couple trips a year and that's fine with me as long as I can have lots of local adventures. I can tell you are just a fun person so come on to see the magnolias in North Carolina and I will promise you lots of southern food and adventures.

manthano said...

You make me tired just seeing where you have been.
But God bless you and keep you as you have chances
to travel.

Terri Tiffany said...

I enjoy watching your life and all that you and your husband do. You make me hope that by the time I can get to PA, I will still be young enough to do those things! I worried I wouldn't. And now you speak of a new adventure! Love it!! Please keep encouraging me! OH and please take your adorable dog with you when you do! I worry about that dog being lonely. Dumb, huh but she reminds me of the one we had and I miss her!

Sharon said...

I love that quote from Tolkien. And sometimes the destination IS the journey.

My hubby and I have been talking about getting a motorhome. It's funny, my wanderlust is growing as I get older, just as my appreciation for the homefront is, too. Let me know if you get a trailer, and I'll let you know if we get that motorhome - maybe someday we'll meet along the trail!

GOD BLESS!

Denise said...

love you dear

Debbie Petras said...

Greg and I have thought of traveling around the country in an RV but haven't gotten there YET! It would be fun though. So many places I've still not been.