Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Remembering to Remember





Every time I think life cannot get any better, it does.
Many times when I thought life could not get any worse, it did.


These thoughts come to mind today as I walk alongside several people who are really struggling at the moment.  Through no fault of their own, life has visited upon them hurts and hurdles that threaten to rob them of hope and joy.  It is little wonder people face despair.  I know I have.  

The years, my years are mounting; one upon the other; layer upon layer.  Time, like a glacier, has a way of moving under its own weight, often accompanied by the stress that shifting weight creates.  And yet ... that very shifting creates the glory & beauty that is the very life of a glacier or, in my case and yours, the life of the life.  Moraine fields are stunning though born in a crush.

I don't understand why some people appear to lead charmed lives; lives seemingly free of heartache or obstacles.  I've known a few such.  But mostly I've known of the other sort ... the lives with peaks and valleys; sunny slopes and shadows of death; songs of rejoicing and dirges of sorrow.  These things are no respecter of persons ~ they visit indiscriminately.

So I remind myself that the best is always yet to come.  Wherever I am today ~ high or low or in-between ~ the promise of better, greater things is as sure as sunrise.  Truly we must remember to remember that.

So we do not lost heart. 
Though our outer self is wasting away, 
our inner self is being renewed day by day.  
For this light momentary affliction is 
preparing for us an eternal weight of glory
beyond all comparison, as we look not to the 
things that are seen but to the things 
that are unseen.  
For the things that are seen are transient, 
but the things that are not seen are eternal.  
~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 


2 comments:

Sharon said...

This came to mind:

"Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." (Psalm 30:5, NLT)

Life is so fleeting. Good things and bad things come and go, and our lives travel through seasons of radiant joy and of blistering wilderness. In it all, the Son still shines, and one day He will bring a new dawn of unending peace.

Things eternal - this is where our focus must be, for this is where our hope lies.

GOD BLESS.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Throughout my years on this earth, I don't believe there are those who live a charmed life, free of trouble. I think many share their heartaches, trials, and pain and then there are others that choose not too. I used to think that, but in the last years of my life, I have sat with some of those so called, "charmed life people", only to find out, when they shared their hearts, that it was so different than what I had thought. But, what you shared from 2 Corinthians 4, is so encouraging and the best way to start out my week. This was another thought provoking post. Someday, we will all understand the workings of our Sovereign God.