Wednesday, April 15, 2015

When Reason Returns





Jesus spoke these things; and lifting His 
eyes to heaven ...
~ John 17:1 (in part)

"I raised my eyes toward
heaven and my reason returned to me ..."
Daniel 4:24


Nearly every day, & sometimes several times a day I walk to the front windows of my home & survey the valley below us.  Watching the seasons come-and-go from on high still leaves me in awe.  Right now the farmlands are a rich, lush green; and trees once naked are again festooned in leaves.  

While walking the dog a few days ago I took the above photo from the vantage point of the blossom-laden pear orchard below the house.  It occurred to me that I've likely missed a bounty of beauty by not training my gaze equally upward as outward & onward.   

What a simple concept:  Look up.

Many were the days of my childhood when I lay upon a grassy cushion to watch the sky.  My imagination was vivid in those days, so it fired on all pistons when I'd survey the placement of clouds or a starry array. Even the blank of a sunny, blue expanse drew my breath away.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but
on what is unseen, since what is seen 
is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
~ 2 Corinthians 4:18

How lovely it is to look up ~ to the vast, unending abode of God and angels; of the beloved departed; of dreams & visions; of hope & glory; of omnipotence and omniscience.  No wonder earth pales by comparison.

    
The sky is the daily bread of the eyes.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are no rules of architecture for
a castle in the clouds. 
~ G.K. Chesterton

It's wonderful to climb the liquid mountains
of the sky.  Behind me and before me is God
and I have no fears.
~ Helen Keller

I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward
heaven and my reason returned to me, 
and I blessed the Most High and praised 
and honored Him who lives forever.  
For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, 
and His kingdom endures 
from generation to generation.
~ Daniel 4:34


... let us run with perseverance the race
marked out for us, fixing our eyes on 
Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
~ Hebrews 12:1-2



7 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hello dear friend, Love this post-yes we must focus our eyes on those things above us and trust Him who is able to keep us. I well remember laying on the grass watching the clouds, catching the scent of cherry trees in bloom and reveling in His glorious creation. We need to do that more as adults.
Sending hugs your way.
Noreen

Sonja Goodson said...

Beautiful, simple truth. I am taken by the Daniel verse... "raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me". That's one for a lifetime!

Happy Thursday my friend. :)

Heart2Heart said...

Such a beautiful way to remind us not to focus on our problems here on earth but to focus on the eternal things of heaven.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

rcubes said...

It was great to hear from you sister. Thank you for your encouragement...

What a break from the norm that must be! When you happened to gaze upward! When my dad was sick and was healed by faith filled prayers from his church, I remember the Lord putting the words in my mouth when their pastor invited me to speak in front of them. I accepted because I wanted to thank them for their love and prayers and most of all, to glorify the Lord for the healing He bestowed on my father at that time.

He gave me a song..."Unto You" at that time. Through that song, He wanted me to tell everyone that we couldn't look back nor ahead... For the past was gone...And the future would always be uncertain...

Instead...we all must "LIFT UP our eyes" to the One Who dwells in the heavens...Who is He? No one but the Lord, the Redeemer, our God...Praise Him...

Thank you for this beautiful post that reminds us to look up...And as I'm leaving, I hear another song I always hear from the radio these past days sister...playing in my mind as I typed...

"I lift my eyes unto the Lord...Where does my help come from? My help comes from You...Maker of heaven and earth..."

God bless you sister and always be strong in the Lord's mighty power!

Sharon said...

OK, I have to share this. When I was a young girl (eons ago), my mom had this really old book with Bible stories. I remember her reading about Nebuchadnezzar, and how the story described his journey into madness. I think there was a creepy picture in the book. If not, the creepy picture in my head always lingered and scared me. Do you know that I was well into adulthood before I learned that he had had a change of heart and came to worship the One True God? For some reason, that story of repentance has really stuck with me.

Honestly, the ONLY way I can find any reason for living, let alone a reasonable state of mind, is to turn to the heavens and cry out to God!

Fixing my eyes on the future...

It's all that counts.

GOD BLESS!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I love the story of King Nebuchadnezzar! God brought him around to see what really matters, and the Only One who really matters. What peace and comfort is allotted to us as God's children, when we focus solely on Him. This was so well written! I thank God for you and the way you inspire all who visit here.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Good Morning Dear Friend! I needed to read this post again, so I stopped by. Thanks!