Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Coloring Book Wisdom



Great necessities call out great virtues.
~ Abigail Adams


For many years I had a large Christmas cookie tin full of crayons in various stages of life:  some long, barely used; others broken or near-nubs.  They've long ago vanished, but today I remember them. As much as I prefer a fresh, full box of them, many a coloring foray has been passed pawing through that tin-bound assortment for something suitable.

I still prefer the perfect ones.

On so many levels that is a truth that confronts me often; sometimes daily.  Oh how I love the perfects of life.  Oh how few of those perfects exist.  Anywhere.

Over time I have had to settle for the imperfects; for the broken crayons in my life or the lives of others.  Typically I assess them as failures at the onset.  But my assessments evolve and eventually I can look at such broken things as anything BUT that.  


Make me to hear joy and gladness.
Let the bones you have broken rejoice. 
Psalm 51:8

For you do not delight in sacrifice, 
otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burn offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; 
A broken and contrite heart, O God
You will not despise.
Psalm 51:16-17





The violets in the mountains have broken the rocks.
Tennessee Williams



8 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

What a beautifl post! I loved this and he whole idea of perfects is wonderful. Thanks you!

Maryann said...

The imperfects still make beautiful pictures don't they. Loved this post, it really spoke to my heart

Saleslady371 said...

A very wise teaching here, dear friend! The broken things reveal some amazing truths in life. Well said.

Rebecca said...

I really like that thought - "Broken crayons still color"!

What a great reminder - and so very encouraging to this "broken crayon".

elaine @peace for the journey said...

Yes - those brokens still color. I needed that tonight. Seems as if my crayon box is filled with lots of worn out crayons these days. But they still color! Love it.

Sharon said...

I loved the images - I loved the lesson. Sometimes I feel like a broken crayon, the black one. But, even a broken black crayon can outline the beautiful colors of God's love!

GOD BLESS!

(When I was growing up my three favorite colored crayons were: Midnight Blue, Pine Green, and Magenta!!)

Just a little something from Judy said...

The concept of this post might just be the reason for you liking me. You are learning to accept the "imperfects" of this life:)

This is a profoundly written post! "Broken crayons still do color". Thanks for the great analogy.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Just me, one of your "broken crayon" friends, checking in on you. Want you to know that I think about you often, and hope that you are still coloring your world.