Monday, January 19, 2015

11th Hour Wins



It's not whether you get knocked down;
it's whether you get up. 
~ Vince Lombardi

Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it.
~ George Halas

I confess to being a fair-weather sports enthusiast.  I'm not into most of it, yet I find it hard not to join the 12th Man and champion my Seahawks (notice the possessive form there ...).  

Yesterday's game played against the Packers was nothing short of stunning.  In what some have called a miraculous turnaround (and it was all of that), they traded their Underdog status to Overdog, opening wide the portal to playing the Superbowl. 





Often sports is used as a metaphor, with little wonder why.  People like Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi & John Wooden are but a few that are quoted, cataloged & copied.  Then there's the dynamic men & women who play the game, any game, garnering our deep admiration or disdain: Think Kurt Warner, Arthur Ashe, Ted Williams & Magic Johnson, or think O.J. Simpson, Lance Armstrong & Tiger Woods. Rising & plummeting stars can be seen by the myriads in all of life.

So yesterday's game left me hoarse & proud. It also left me pondering the metaphors of life that came with that win.  A few ... 

  • The opponent (think enemy, the world) can play the better game and still not win.
  • Often nothing of consequence happens while on the defensive.
  • When the offensive wakes up, things happen.
  • One man CAN make a difference, but unity & team play matters.
  • It's never over until it's over so it's never too late to begin again.
  • Stunning 11th hour wins are possible no matter how bleak the outlook or how loud the naysayers.

One man practicing sportsmanship is far 
better than 50 preaching it.
~ Knute Rockne

In reflecting on the process of yesterday's plays & win I have new insight & momentum for tackling some of those things that stand between me & my own touchdowns.  In this business of living, the ultimate Super Bowl is ours for the taking.  

Therefore, let's do this!!


Your biggest opponent isn't the other guy. 
It's human nature.
~ Bobby Knight

Do not let what you cannot do interfere
with what you can do.
~ John Wooden


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a 
great cloud of witnesses (our team)
let us throw off everything 
(move from a defensive to an offensive position) 
that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  
And let us run with perseverance the race 
marked out for us (follow the coach's instructions)
fixing our eyes on Jesus, 
the pioneer and perfecter of faith.

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom 
that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, 
and so worship God acceptably 
with reverence and awe ... ".  
~ Hebrews 12:1-3, 28


4 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

We watch the games a day late here in Europe and my hubby went on and on about what a great game it was. I dropped out of the whole season when the Cowboys lost.
I love how you related the whole thing with Bible principals. Great post!

manthano said...

"...let us throw off everything that hinders..."
That sure does speak to me.

It is so easy to get distracted with "things"
that: comfort us, entertain us, satisfy our
curiosity, or we think we need. But all draw
us away from the goal.

I may be in my eleventh hour, but with God's
help, we'll focus on the goal and finish the game.

manthano said...

Eleventh hour speaks to this old man.
Thanks.

Especially, "...let us lay aside every
weight" (If I quoted correctly.) We
are so prone to allow much (Even
good things.) to side track us.

Again, THanks.

Just a little something from Judy said...

There is great truth in Bobby Knight's quote. Like in Romans, that is where my biggest troubles come, between God's best and human nature wanting control. I also must tell you, I did think of you during the game, and believe it or not, I was on the same side as you:)