Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What Does it Matter?

"I am the Alpha and the Omega",
says the Lord God, "Who is, and Who was,
and Who is to come, the Almighty."
~ Revelation 1:8




I wonder how often I've heard the question:  "What does it matter?".  Hundreds of times, no doubt.  It's quite likely the largest portion of such challenges came from the lips of my very own teenagers when, long ago, they lived at home.  I can hear it still:  "Mom (in indignant huffs), what does it matter if I do it today or tomorrow?" Or, "What does it matter if my bed's made or not?" And then there's the now famous, equally indignant response from Hillary Clinton when questioned about the tragedy in Benghazi, "What difference does it make?

One would think many matters do not matter from those of us who have a different take on what really matters.  (Did you get all that?) 

By definition matter is both a noun and verb.  As a noun, it can have physical properties or be a specific topic.  But as a verb, it becomes something quite different, something synonymous with a consequence, or of significance or import.  Matters matter.  

In our increasingly secular and socialized world, many things that once mattered greatly are now relegated to the What does it matter? Pile; and some rightly so.  After-all, what does it matter if I eat fish on Friday or not?  Then again, all too many precious & priceless matters have been relegated to the same Pile. 


  • What does it matter if I read/study my Bible or not?
  • What does it matter if the 10 Commandments are posted in the public sector?
  • What does it matter if I regularly attend church?
  • What does it matter if I do this or that (something known to be immoral or unethical) since it doesn't affect anyone but me?
  • What does it matter if I have an understanding of Bible prophecy?
  • What does it matter if I don't forgive _______?
  • What does it matter which God you believe in?

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

In recent days, during the Advent season that would have me preparing Him room, I've been considering (and convicted) by the question:  "What does it matter if I seek first His Kingdom?"   It's a perfect segue to the coming of The King.


For the Son of Man is going to come in 
His Father's glory with His angels, 
and then He will reward each person 
according to what he has done.  
~ Matthew 16:27 

So, as this Advent season draws to a close I am giving much thought to that greater Advent that is today and every day until we see the literal whites of His eyes.  Preparing Him room doesn't end with this or any Christmas season.  And that matters.



You also must be ready, because the Son of Man 
will come at an hour when you do not expect Him.  
~ Luke 12:40





... He was taken up before their very eyes, 
and a cloud hid Him from their sight.  
They were looking intently up into the sky as 
He was going, when suddenly two men dressed 
in white stood beside them.  
"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you 
stand here looking into the sky?  This same Jesus, who 
has been taken from you into heaven, 
will come back 
in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven."
~ Acts 1:9-11






Joy to the World!

MERRY CHRISTMAS



3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the reminder, Kathleen! It DOES matter. As Jesus said recorded in Luke 12:43: That slave whose master finds him working when he comes will be rewarded.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas & a blessed 2015.

manthano said...

Great thought.
THANKS. And Merry
Christmas to you and
yours.

Sharon said...

I really loved reading this! I liked your phrase, too - "until we see the literal whites of His eyes." Won't that be wonderful?!

Yes, none of this life really matters when compared to what really matters. (Did you get all that???)

And nothing matters more than choosing and following the King.

I wish you and yours a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. May your home be filled with His love, joy, peace, and hope!

GOD BLESS!