Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Naked & Unafraid

I confess:  I watch far too much television.  My viewing proclivities range anywhere from large doses of Hallmark movies to a periodic Say Yes to the Dress.  I'm a huge fan of British programming ~ Downton Abbey and Monarch of the Glen among my favorites.  I find it difficult to pass up anything about nature, so National Geographic and PBS often have me popping in.  But nothing ... absolutely nothing prepared me for exposure to Naked and Afraid (pun intended).

It was quite by accident that I stumbled onto said program.  In case you've never done so yourself, here's the premise:

"Two complete strangers (a man and a woman) 
meet in a very unique way:  They're stranded 
in a dangerous, desolate location without food 
and water, and they're completely naked.  
Each episode follows the two as they attempt 
to survive on their own for 21 days, 
with nothing but one personal item each ... ".

Seriously?  That's someone's idea of great television viewing?

Well, I further confess that I watched the entire episode, grateful that producers provided a modicum of viewing decency by blanking out private body parts.    

So why am I telling you all this?  Because I see in the story line an eerily familiar condition for all of us.  The world is, indeed, a desolate and dangerous location.  There's a life lesson associated with anything labeled "dangerous" for the believer ... 

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, 
but against the authorities, against the cosmic powers 
over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces 
of evil in the heavenly places."  
~ Ephesians 6:12 

"Do not love the world or the things in the world.  
If anyone loves the world, the love of 
the Father is not in him."  
~ John 2:15

Roaring lions stalk our every step with dogged & determined ferocity.  We are ~ know it or not; like it or not ~ naked and vulnerable.  But, unlike the aforementioned reality TV program, we need not be afraid.   Unlike those uncovered characters, we are covered.

I look back upon the years of my sojourn here.  Far too many of my steps were calculated; anything BUT transparent or vulnerable.  It mattered too much to me what others thought of me.  In a sense, I attempted to cloth myself in ... well ... you name it:  Appearances (how I looked), good doings (works before men), camouflage (hiding the real me or my flaws), and the like.  I have vestiges of those things lingering in my flesh still, but this I know: I am no longer afraid to be who I am, confident that God's got that covered too.  

Begin naked before Him is the freedom He grants me, and that allows me to be real among my fellow sojourners.  

Life lessons show up in the strangest of places, even whacky television programs.




"I am the vine; you are the branches.  
Whoever abides in Me and I in him, 
he it is that bears much fruit, 
for apart from Me you can do nothing."  
~ John 15:5

"... he who was born of God protects him, 
and the evil one does not touch him."
1 John 5:18

4 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I love your take on this show. And you used it for good!

Sharon said...

Such an interesting post today! I've not watched that program, but seen ads for it. I'd never consider being on a show like that - I'm naked and afraid when I take a shower!!

On a more serious note, I really enjoyed the spiritual lesson you brought out of your viewing. One of the things that I thought of, too, was that when Adam and Eve sinned, the first thing they noticed was that they were naked.

Fortunately, God made provision for them - just as He does for us now. And we need it. For yes, indeed, it's a dangerous world out there.

GOD BLESS!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful analogy between this tv show and our spiritual walk. Thank goodness God sees our nakedness and has provided covering in the person of Jesus. We don't have to be afraid of loss because He is more than enough.....I love your deep insightful view into things...Would love to sit down and chat....

Just a little something from Judy said...

Without a doubt, we were made for another world! I am more convinced of that than ever! But, while I am here, I am thankful for people like you!