Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Pros & Cons of Camouflage

It happened so fast it was a near miss.  

Me:                Oh, oh ... Slow down.  Look over there.

Husband:       Which there?

Me.                There, in that jumble of bushes. 

Husband.       What jumble?

Me.                The one that HAD the deer in it.

Husband:       What deer?





It was rather funny, actually.  I so wanted my husband to see what I was seeing, but to no avail.  Either I was not clear in the way I communicated, or he was blind to it, or the opportunity to comprehend the event had passed.  By the time he computed that jumble was synonymous with thicket, the deer was nowhere to be seen.

That got me thinking.

Isn't sin like that?  Doesn't it cleverly camouflage itself against the backdrop of all that is normal, as if blending into the landscape of life, or in an attempt to evade detection?  Isn't it hard to get people to see what's hurting them (or others, because of them) sometimes, even when we do our level best to describe what and where it is (without being critical, of course)?  Isn't that same stuff hard to see in ourselves at other times?  

If anyone had asked my husband if there was a deer in the bush during our park visit, he'd have said "no".  But whether I described it well enough or not, or whether he saw it or not, that camo-wearing Odocoileus Hemionus was alive & well in the jumble.  

Just thinking ...


4 comments:

Sonja Goodson said...

camo-wearing Odocoileus Hemionus...
I love it! And oh yes, sin is sneaky and subtle, just like satan.

Hope you all are settling in nicely... I know how beautiful it is up there in the summertime. So many adventures ahead!

Sharon said...

It's those hidden sins that are the worst. They "blend in" with our normal selves so well that we often cease to recognize them. These are the ones that God must dig out, for we will never get to the *roots* without His help!

GOD BLESS!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Early on this Thursday morning, I put on my thinking cap, and visited your blog. I love that you make me think. I like that God uses you to make me aware, to open my eyes, and often to just thank Him for you. Doing just that right now.

Joan Davis said...

Great analogy! I discovered something several years ago. My son, who is color blind, cannot see camouflage. We were walking along a trail when he was a child and he was the first one to spot a rattle snake. My husband and I couldn't see it even though it was right in front of us. Our son, however, was able to see the snake because he was not distracted by the clever colors and design of its skin which matched the surrounding landscape perfectly. Like you pointed out, sin can hide and blend into our surroundings. However, we need to make a conscious effort to see beyond its disguise...and it can be done when we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Joan