Thursday, July 17, 2014

They Had Me at "Ya'all"

There's been a virtual beehive of activity at our house since landing here a mere six weeks ago.  I doubt I've ever enjoyed the settling process more or worked harder at so doing. 



It's a foregone conclusion that we delight in our family here, the home we've claimed as our own, & the memories that come-and-go throughout each countrified day.  I spent many a childhood moment in these environs, having traveled from the prissy, girly realms of my mother's house to the barefooted, bug hunting, night-crawler digging home of my mostly boy cousins.  

Moreover, this is where my father grew up, attended high school, helped on the family farm & the raising of his younger siblings (his father having died prematurely), and furthered his education in fishing and hunting.   A man's man, he actually handled our prissy girl world quite well.  But make no mistake, this is where he grew his grit.


This is cowboy country.  Far & wide are pastures and corals, barns and rails, & amber waves of grain ~ as well as the ever-meandering Okanogan River.  The folk here are ... well ... folks. Whether a Walmart clerk, a gas station attendant, a shop keeper, a pastor or a waitress, people are engaged and engaging.  Making eye-contact is easy.  It's hardly Texas, where one would expect a drawl, but "ya'll" pretty much describes the tenor and tone of this tucked away turf I now call home.   


I pause today to give thanks.  I do it quite often these days, but today it overtakes me like a fresh & refreshing wind.  


It is, after all, a good day ya'll.



He lead them by a straight way
to a city where they could settle.
Let them give thanks to the Lord
for His unfailing love.
and His wonderful deeds for mankind,
for He satisfies the thirsty and fills
the hungry with good things.
~ Psalm 107:7-9

4 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

It has been wonderful watching this unfold. I think your place is beautiful and your improvements amazing! You have really moved around and it's nice to know this final move is worth it!

Catherine said...

This was put eloquently and heartfelt. It should be read by all.
Blessings dear. Catherine

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I wondered initially if you had moved down south or just visiting. Sounds like you are revisiting some areas from your childhood. I love the south and the easy way folks reach out to everyone.
Hope you continue to have a blessed time.
Hugs, Noreen

Sonja Goodson said...

Y'all are living it up! I love it. I am now so used to 'y'all' in Texas that I say it all the time. It kind of covers a lot... folksy, inclusive, warm and accepting.

Y'all enjoy every single day of it!! :)