Sunday, July 6, 2014

Moving On

I will instruct you and teach you in 
the way you should go; I will counsel
you with My eye upon you.
~ Psalm 32:8 ESV


There are times in my life when I've lingered long in or at one place: locations, jobs, friendships, homes, attitudes, beliefs, hairstyles, etc. That inclination to linger is fueled by any number of good & not-so-good things:  the need for stability, vanity, curiosity, the joy associated with that particular person/place/thing, the fear of change, orneryness, etc.  

Then there comes a season when I know it's time to move on.  Most often it's a conscious decision ~ a choice on my part ~ born of need and/or vision.  At other times, it's a gradual, sometimes imperceptible distancing, as if I had somehow wandered through the process unawares.  

Good or bad, happy or sad, frightening or joy-filled, moving on requires the letting go of one thing in order to grasp the new, often better thing.  Then, sometime hence you look back to realize how far you've traveled, or how much you've gained or lost, or have let go of.  It can entail a sense of awe & gratitude, or it can entail sorrow; sometimes remorse.  The choice of how to look at such things often resides in that space between my ears.

Regardless, moving on is the built in chronology of living.  We go forward willingly & joyfully; we go kicking & screaming; we go in a state of oblivion.  But we go.  

The good news about the Good News is that we can know, whichever way or however we move on, it is for our own good and His glory, ultimately.

In Him, moving on is always moving up.





Not that I have already obtained this (knowing
& becoming like Christ) or am 
already perfect, but I press on to make it
my own, because Christ Jesus has made me
His own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I
made it on my own.  But one thing I do:
forgetting what lies behind and straining
forward to what lies ahead, I press on 
toward the goal for the prize of the upward
call of God in Christ Jesus. 
~ Philippians 3:12-14 ESV

3 comments:

Sharon said...

A week ago Sunday we celebrated our 2nd anniversary of moving here to the mountains. Mostly I came kicking and screaming, though I knew it to be God's will. It was incredibly difficult to leave family, friends, and familiar places after 29 years in the same house and city. But, you're right, God said go, and we did.

I was constantly reminded of the faith and obedience of Abraham. God didn't tell him where he was going, He just said to go. And Abraham did.

We must do the same. For God always has a plan and a purpose for the *new* place He calls us to.

GOD BLESS!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

powerful post sweet Sassy one! Moving onward with God is where we all need to be journeying to!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I always come here and am blessed. "Moving on" is so much a part of my life, in many different ways. I long at times to stay put, to settle down, and yet, God shows me the next area where He wants me to move on. I am convinced that He does not want us to get stagnant, and that is one of the reasons, He moves us on. "Moving on" with you today, my friend.