Monday, July 21, 2014

A Morning's Hush

O'er thy spirit gently stealing,
Visions of delight revealing
Breathes a pure and holy feeling,
All through the night.

There's a hush in my house this morning.  In the background is a light, barely audible enhancement of classical music playing. Somewhere nearby I can hear the coffee pot as it sputters into existence a new morning's brew.  Beyond these minimally invasive sounds is the timelessness of the hush.  Here it is easy to be still and know.

Just down the hall from me sleeps my daughter, much as she did all the years she harbored in our home.  She and her family came for the weekend, leaving her behind when they departed yesterday. Her stay has been extended an extra three days, which means her Dad and I have her all to ourselves.  We giggle, ever-so selfishly & equally unapologetically.

I've not had the need to manufacture a hush for many years.  Oh, I manage to sequester the early morning hours because they have long been my daily launching pad; and some mornings bring with it a hush of its own.  But the hush I experience today is a different thing altogether.  It's where breathing the pure & holy negates the need for air.  It can arrive as anticipated, it can fall, or it can be manufactured.  All three forms are pregnant with anticipation, even as the soul cozies up to the reverie it generates.  For me, hushes are often prayerful ~ and prayerful in such a way that words aren't necessary.  I couldn't utter or offer words if even I had them.

Today my mother's heart guards this hush while my beloved daughter sleeps.  There's no need to disturb her.  There's no need to start the laundry, turn on the T.V., clean to the foot-stopping motivation of the Beach Boys, or chat on the phone.  Hear I sit, no work important enough for my hands to do, grateful that our Molly survived so hideous an ordeal as a battle with Ovarian Cancer, that she sleeps beneath my roof, and that she lives on ~ if for no other reason than to allow for this hush.  With tears, I know in all reality it's a hush God has created just for us; and for just such a time as this.

Sleep my child.





(Molly, Tom, Rylie & Beagle Pup Dexter.  
Megan & Ava are missing, having gone 
camping with the other grandparents).


Sleep my child and peace attend thee,
All through the night.
Guardian angels God will send thee,
All through the night.

Soft the drowsy hours are creeping;
Hill and vale in slumber sleeping;
I my loved ones' watch am keeping
All through the night.

Angels watching, e-er around thee,
All through the night.
Midnight slumber close surround thee,
All through the night.

While the moon her watch is keeping,
All through the night.
While the weary world is sleeping,
All through the night.

O'er they spirit gently stealing,
Visions of delight revealing
Breathes a pure and holy feeling,
All through the night.



6 comments:

Catherine said...

Very beautifully expressed.
I am happy that you have this blessing to experience the hush in your home of the peacefulness felt while your daughter sleeps.
I will keep you all in my prayers.
Catherine

Just a little something from Judy said...

With tears running down my cheeks, I read this post. I totally understand your mother's heart. I love the way you share your mother's heart, and the way you draw me into each and every post. I thank God for your beautiful daughter and that the three of you have time together. What a gift from God, especially after ALL you have been through. Enjoy my friend...enjoy! Save the feet stomping to the Beach Boy's music till another day:) Like I said, you took my from tears to a big smile, with just a few paragraphs shared from your heart.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I read about the fires and I wondered if they were near you. I felt so sad as I read through this post and realized how close you are to it's devastation. I cannot imagine what so many, that lost so much, are facing. I like how you shared "fire" and it's various meanings. The last picture is one that says best what you shared in words. Thinking about you in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing.

Sonja Goodson said...

You sure know how to bring a tear to the eye! This is a beautiful tribute and lullaby for Molly. I am thankful to share in this journey by thoughts and better still, by prayer. She looks so wonderful, that radiant smile lights her face in every picture. Blessings on Molly as she rests 'down the hall'... I can feel that beautiful hush in your words and heart.

A big hug to both of you!! :)

Sharon said...

Oh, how much I understand. This was so beautifully expressed. I celebrate with you over the joy of having Molly in your house. What a blessed gift it must be to see her sleep peacefully after her long ordeal. The lullaby was perfect - I remember it well.

There is something sacred in that early morning hush. For sometimes, in those very quietest of moments, we can hear the still, small voice singing...

GOD BLESS!

Susan said...

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read. It brings tears to my eyes to even think of all that your Molly has gone through -- and her whole family. Sometimes it's in the "hush" that we praise God for all His glory around us. Praising Him for His glory in your family ... and continued prayers for Molly {and her wonderful Mommy too}