Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Zig and the Zag of It



"We climbed the height by the zigzag path 
and wondered why ~ until we understood it 
was made zigzag to break the force of the hill.  
A road straight up would prove too steep 
for the traveler's feet to tread; 
the thought was kind in its wise design of a 
zigzag path instead.  It is often so in our daily life; 
we fail to understand that the twisting way 
our feet must tread by love alone was planned.  
Then murmur not at the winding way:  
It is our Father's will to lead us home 
by the zigzag path, to break the force of the hill. "
~ Anonymous

The Lord God is my strength, 
and He has made my feet like the hinds' feet, 
and makes me walk on my high places.
Habakkuk 3:19, Psalm 18:33

(I cannot help but observe in the above text that I am equipped to walk on "my" high places, and not yours or someone else's.)

The hind is a female red deer whose home is in the mountains.  The rear feet of the hind step in precisely the same spot where the front feet have been.  Every motion of the hind is followed through with single-focused consistency, making it the most sure-footed of all mountain animals.  

How I wish I'd had those hinds' feet when my husband and I attempted on three separate occasions to make our way up a steep slope to a high mountain lake known as Wagon Wheel.  On each of those attempts I made it a little further each time, but never was I able to make it the whole way.  The slope and the zigzags proved to be too much for my mortal feet and legs.   Funny thing is, the descent was every bit as painful as the ascent.      

Today I am thankful that God, in His mercy and wisdom, breaks the force of each and every spiritual slope with zigzags.  Every step counts, even though I may be tempted to pull up a rock & protest sit awhile ... even a long, long while.

Is there anything in the natural world that God cannot or does not use to instruct?  


Sources:
"Springs in the Valley", Mrs. Charles B. (Lettie) Cowman
"Hinds Feet for High Places", Hannah Hurnard
Secret of the Hind, Hannah's Cupboard 

8 comments:

Denise said...

Wonderful post. Enjoy your Easter.

Saleslady371 said...

He sure can use anything to instruct and I really like the lesson here. Praying for hinds feet for those steep places!

Happy Easter!
Mary

Just a little something from Judy said...

I often wondered what a Hind was. I found this so interesting. I love how God offers us so many lessons via His Word, even the zig zags of our earthly journey.

manthano said...

Love your conclusion.
I am convinced you are correct, and that
"EVERY" thing in the world glorifies him
in one way or another.

God bless you.

Sharon said...

I loved this post. The photo looks like some "roads" that we have driven while on vacation in Colorado. I am always amazed at the intrepid spirit of the people who braved those intimidating elements to live. But, yes, isn't this what we are called to do also? To live in the heights with the surefooted confidence that comes from the One who supports us?!

I've zigged a few times when I should have zagged, but on each step of the way, the Lord has faithfully been with me, leading me to where He wants me to go.

GOD BLESS!

Debbie Petras said...

Climbing those mountains can be difficult! I find that the struggles up and down teach me life lessons too my friend.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Sonja Goodson said...

Perfect timing Kathleen. I am 3/4 through the reading of "Hind's Feet on High Places"... I've always read snippets of it, but this time the entire book. I am chagrined at how often I resemble Much Afraid. The good news is... not as often as I used to! :)

Blessings friend!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

There's been a lot of zigging and zagging lately around here. Yes, I'll grab the rock and sit a spell. I sure am tired.

peace~elaine