Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Glory of Twilight




"May He also be to you a Restorer of Life
and a Sustainer of your old age ... "
~ Ruth 4:15

Nearly four years ago we decided to leave off the adventures of our ten-year Arizona sojourn in order to return to the home of our origins, Washington State.  There were many reasons for that decision; and with hindsight a myriad more.  One such, a blessing that we hadn't anticipated with our return, is the glory of twilight. 

It's a very real thing, twilight = that part of the day when the sun dips below the horizon and a refracted, soft glowing light from the sky baths the day in scattered sun rays.  It's as if the day itself longs to linger, if not to compete with the glories of the sunrise to come. What's more, photographers have designated it the Blue Hour; and have long known it's the best time of day for capturing, literally, picture-perfect scenes.   

Depending on latitude, some places experience twilight in a more splendid way than others; and Washington State is one such locale. With Daylight Savings Time, April's official time for sunset is 8:14 PM.  Come August it'll be 8:40 PM.  The sun may have set at those times, but darkness is held at bay until twilight's stubborn, refracted rays are ready to retire  ~ sometimes as long as 90 minutes or more. It's a scientific condition, but to my way of thinking it's also a place; a serene destination.  


I like twilight.  I used to think that dawn was my favorite part of the day, and in some ways it is still.  But twilight's metaphorical beauty is apropos.  I now live, literally, in the approaching twilight in my own life.  

Wordographers (like Merriam), say that it can also be defined as decline, or ambiguity, or obscurity.  To some extent I might agree. It is true that my life is far less connected to that which the world applauds or that youth warrants.  Many things have gone missing. But ... it's hardly the whole story.  An equal number of things have been gained, and could only be gained with the onset of twilight.

Refracted light is still light ~ and the very best time to consider what is picture-perfect in one's life.


Although Moses was one hundred and 
twenty years old when he died, 
his eye was not dim, nor his vigor abated. 
~ Deuteronomy 34:7

I remember the days of old; 
I meditate on all Your doings; 
I muse on the work of Your hands.  
~ Psalm 143:5




For more about the causes of twilight click here:  The Blue Hour

10 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

I have to agree with you. I love Twilight much more than sunrise. I am just not an early morning riser and just watching the skies change at the end of the time, gives me time to pause and reflect on the goodness of God in my day.

Thank you for sharing this.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Catherine said...

What a beautiful post. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kathleen, What a beautiful photo of Twilight. We haven't yet captured any sunsets here or twilights-due to cloud cover. It is good catching up here. We are having a great vacation and well needed rest here; go home and start unpacking boxes at our new house.
Hope you have a very blessed weekend.
Hugs, Noreen

Peggy said...

I loved your post. Twilight is my favorite time of day and the sun sets in the back of our house and we've seen some glorious sunsets. But you were talking about twilight. I'm also in the twilight of my life and I'm coming to love this slower, more intentional, more relaxed time of my life. Have great adventures in your new place!

Denise said...

Awesome post my friend.

Sharon said...

This was a beautiful post. I'm not a morning person, so sunrises usually arrive without my presence!! But, twilight, such a lovely time between the beauty of the day and the glory of the night. There's a hush that I like at twilight - and in those moments, God speaks.

GOD BLESS!

RCUBEs said...

It's such a beautiful ending to any day...While one can glory in his youth and strength, there is so much more with the wisdom learned in an advancing age. God bless sister and thank you for encouraging me.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My daddy wrote in his journal on Sunday about "shaking hands with tomorrow", about letting go - a recurring theme with our family. He's talking about his upcoming retirement from the pulpit - again. He, too, is settling into the twilight years. I'm finally at the age of seeing the rich beauty of the man he is.

I love the way twilight looks on you as well, friend.

Just a little something from Judy said...

You have such a way of sharing the twilight of life, that it lifts my spirits and brightens my step today. Your beauty, inward and outwards, makes the twilight years look good, and the God you love and serve, adds joy and real peace to those precious years. This was inspiring my dear friend, from one who is walking through the same time frame, and learning through it all.

Renee Regnier said...

Thank you!