Monday, April 14, 2014

Abating a Bent for Bait

Let your gentleness be evident to all.
The Lord is near.  
... whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,
~ if anything is excellent or praiseworthy ~ 
think about such things.
Philippians 4:5, 8

It still baffles me how I became the owner of a Smart Phone, though probably not for reasons anyone would readily identify.  I've had ~ plain & simple ~ an adverse, visceral reaction to an inanimate object being labeled a smart anything, as if there were such a thing as a Dumb Phone.  But I now have one; call it whatever you like.

I'm also a Facebooked-Blogging-Twitterer that's Linked-In. Impressed?  That fact ought to garner me, a granny of notable sass, the respect of a lot 20 somethings, though I've yet to detect their notice.  Sass might not be enough.


The thing about all this social media that's most disturbing to me is one particular facet of temptation that comes along with it:  A self-righteous propensity that longs to set someone, or the record straight.  It's bait not easily ignored: a tasty morsel for my maw.

As a self-styled, strategic, self-aggrandized intellectual, I often know better than someone else (not you, of course) what to believe in terms of political spin, biblical doctrine or practice, child-rearing, etc. ~ EXCEPT, that is, when I don't (know, that is).


In the face of dissent, I'd like to think I've grown more gracious, less pompous; more like Jesus.  Maybe not.  


Learning to recognize what is & isn't bait would help.



Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid 
arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.  
And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome 
but must be kind to everyone, 
able to teach, not resentful.  
Opponents must be gently instructed, 
in the hope that God will grant them repentance 
leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 
and that they will come to their senses 
and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken 
them captive to do his will. 
2 Timothy 2:23-26

8 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've come to the conclusion that I really know very little. Just ask my adult sons. But I do know Jesus, and this is more than enough to get me where I want to go.

The wind's been blowing fiercely around my heart in recent days. So grateful for the anchor of truth that steadies me in the storm.

Love and peace, friend. I think you're Sassy enough for all of us. Keep to it.

Sharon said...

Ah, yes - having the courage to know when to speak up, the wisdom to know what to say, and the discernment to keep quiet when I should!!

Only the Holy Spirit can do that!!

GOD BLESS!

Happy Easter!

Denise said...

Knowing Jesus, is all I need to know.

rebecca said...

I believe I SOOOOOO know what you're saying here. I have deleted several facebook responses recognizing I DON'T "have to" respond to/correct/set the record straight EVERY time :)

That Scripture is SO appropriate. Thanks for the reminder.

Maria Dunn said...

Thank you, Kathleen. This is a good reminder to be cautious about "waxing elegant" about even that which I may think I know. I appreciate your wise words. God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

As always,wise words from a wise and godly woman! thank you!

Cheryl Barker said...

The perfect scripture passage for this post, Kathleen. May we always display a winsome witness for the Lord!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Oh my dear friend, it is a wonder we are friends. I always put on my smart hat before I even attempt to visit your blog, but yet I come, absolutely sure in my heart of hearts that if I pay close attention, and if I read it all real slow, I will glean from it. Today I gleaned a bit from your wise words. What I do know without a doubt, is that the older I get, the less I know when it comes to correcting others, or offering the "right" answer. I long to show God's grace in every remark and answer that flows from my mouth. I like what you shared today. Of course, I always like what you share. And, by the way, I do not have a smart phone, I don't do Facebook, and I rarely text. So you see, it is remarkable that we are friends:)