Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Good Inheritance



Nearly all our worldly goods are spread between a barn and a garage.  For the past three months we've been living with the essentials and little more.  It's been a season of change; of waiting, and more waiting.  In fact, it's been a season that's spanned three: Fall, Winter & now Spring.  

I'm no stranger to change.  I may not always be a fan of it, but I've come to appreciate the familiar Recipe that always seems to result in the enlarging of my heart, if not my boundaries.



  • 1/4 part adventure
  • 1/4 part opportunity
  • 1/4 part faith-building
  • 1/4 part exasperation

As with any recipe, ingredients matter.  They're designed to compliment each other in order to achieve a desired outcome.  In a very real sense, they work together for good.  In my life, they have been the means by which God grows me; matures me.  Alter them and risk an undesirable outcome.  Fight them and risk a handicap.

If nothing ever changed, 
there'd be no butterflies. 
~ Unknown

This I know:  I have a good inheritance.  It makes the Season of Change my favorite because it stymies my notions of hunkering down and/or getting rigid; of resisting.  It puts flesh on the bones of what I know to be true:  the best is always future; always yet to come. 

I press on to take hold of that for which
Christ Jesus took hold of me.
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider
myself yet to have taken hold of it.
But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is
behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the price
for which God has called me heavenward 
in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 3:12-14  

7 comments:

Denise said...

True my friend, true. Blessings to you.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Your changes have inspired me and reminded me that through my own changes God is forming me. Thanks for sharing your journey.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Seems like the page is always turning, does it not? This keeps me on the edge of my faith, hanging on for dear, sweet life! Your next chapter is going to be fabulous and full of adventure.

manthano said...

It's that waiting that seems to hurt so much.
Whether waiting for things, situations, places
or on God.

Thanks for helping us to see that it is for
our own good.

God bless you.

Peggy said...

I was happy to hear you and your husband are moving to a rural area. We also had done this earlier in our life when we had children in school and it was too hard and our lives were too busy. But I can't tell you how much we love living with the land and the animals and the slower pace. It fits this season of our life perfectly and I hope it will be that way for you and your husband. Will be praying for God's blessings on your move. Peggy

Just a little something from Judy said...

One thing for sure, you continue to teach me so much about learning how to deal with change. I like how you broke it all down. I am sure my ratios would be different than yours. Not only do I learn to deal with change here, but I also am learning how to lean on my Heavenly Father through it all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. The verse you shared is really the bottom line of it all.

Renee Regnier said...

Words of wisdom, Kathleen! I needed them today! Thanks!