Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Determined Digitization

Whoever thought there would come a day when most everything we view would be via a computer, or one of its stepchildren, like the IPAD?  I should have gotten the hint when, as a younger woman, there was a concerted effort to go paperless in the realm of business where I hung my shingle ~ whether in the private sector or Church ministry.  

Today people in business and at home have little cause for record-keeping of the paper type.  Bills are paid online.  Communication takes place by way of emails or texts.  Even the written word is replaced by Kindle and e-Readers.  Digital formatting is the stock-in-trade for just about everything today.

There's the good and the not-so-good of this migration away from all things printed.  I could pen keyboard large tomes about the subject, but I won't.  Today my thoughts are mostly centered on a small, yet beneficial aspect:  the digitization of old photographs.

For some months now I've been scanning hard copy photos into a stand alone, backup hard drive.  Many photos in my collection are faded & worn; some hardly recognizable thanks to the anything-but-colorfast-Poloraids of yesteryear.  It's taking me hours and hours and hours of input, due largely to the Herculean effort to crop, enhance color & identify each one.  All this spans years that reach back to the late 1800s and journey forth to the present.  I've finally made my way into the early 1990s, which is to say I've covered a great deal of ground.  I'm nowhere near finished. 

There's been an unexpected & mostly delightful aspect to said determined digitization:  re-living the past.  In most instances I am warmed, or find myself laughing aloud.  In others, I feel more somber; sometimes sad.  Unbelievably, I can place myself back there, in a specific scene, as if it were happening in the present. What a way to time travel!

My long term goal in reaching the Photo-Finish Line (pun intended) is that all the photos in my possession will be saved permanently.  I will then have the ability to download one photo or many for my family.  No one will be forced to guess at who/where/what is the photo's content after me and those of my generation are long gone. 

Anyway, no deep thought here today.  Mostly I'm marking memories.  Given the project du jour, there are many such to mark.


For instance ...


Dating ... 


When the children were little ...


Our boys (forever seeking to
outdo the other) tying flies.


One of many family dinners 
with our children.


A familiar scene when a
grandbaby heads to Grandma's bathtub.


My sisters & me sorting through my 
mother's documents & photos, 
attempting to figure out what was what. 


Fun times with my sisters
and brothers-in-law (I'm taking
the photo)


Wee me, Mom & sisters
Dolores & Carol.


There's just sooooo many to choose from; and I'm tempted to post hundreds.  Sufficient for now is the blessings brought on by this project.  THEY can't be digitized.


The Lord has been mindful of us ...
He will bless those who fear the Lord,
Both small and great.

May the Lord give you increase
more and more.  
You and Your children.
May you be blessed by the Lord, 
Who made heaven and earth.

The dead do not praise the Lord,
Nor any who do down into silence.
But we bless the Lord
From this time forth and forevermore.
Psalm 115:12, 13-15, 17-18


6 comments:

Maryann said...

I have been doing the same, it's quite the daunting task and I'm not sure I will ever finish. My father in law did much the same thing when he was first diagnosed with Alzheimers (that was years ago, so he photo copied and labeled) We are glad that he did because we would have had no idea what or who we were looking at in many of the photos. I have enjoyed the stroll down memory lane.

Denise said...

I love, love, love all the pictures.

Debbie said...

Oh my what a wonderful, wonderful idea but I honestly don't know if I could EVER get through our pile. How I would LOVE it if I did though. Something to think about. Enjoy your week!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A labor of sweet love. I should do this. I don't have a scanner, so that's my excuse, but it would be a wonderful thing to do for my family. No doubt, you're finding some wonderful memories in the pile of all these photographs.

I imagine this would also be an excellent way to tracing God's hand of faithfulness.

peace~elaine

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Funny to read this this morning because I got up thinking I need to start on photos.
I love walking back through them as they always point to how God walked with me through my life.
These are wonderful! Enjoy each minute of this long process.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I enjoyed this post so much. I liked being able to see the bits and pieces of the past, that make up the person that you are. The person I have grown to love and appreciate. It helps me to feel more a part of your life and your blog. Thanks so much for taking the time to share some of it all with us. God sure has gifted His children with some very special "precious memories", hasn't He?