Friday, March 7, 2014

Best Used By ...

"Teach us to number our days, 
that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
~ Psalm 90:12

This one began with a pedicure; a self-indulgent, somewhat messy, personally applied spa experience at home.  I'm not a nail polish sort of girl, though back in the day I was all prissy over matching nails, makeup & purses.  What was I thinking?!!  

But now the dawn of Flip-Flop Season is soon to be upon us.  Thus today was as good a day as any for my 2014 Maiden Spa Voyage.   


A confession:  nail polish is doomed to the garbage heap if it's in my home. My inspection & selection began with an effort to find something still harboring life.  Most were little more than goo.  I even tried my typical home remedy: a few drops of polish remover (also among the spa antiquities in my larder).  No luck.  Dante's Red, Precious Pink, Latte, Coral Shore, Magenta Magic ~ all of them unsuitable, well beyond their Best Use By dating.


The out-dated goo polish got me to thinking.


Who'd ever think of drinking sour milk long past the Best Used By date on the carton?  Or what about bagged lettuce ~ you know the kind ~ the one that's gone all slimy?   Oh how about the look on the clerk's face when you present a discount coupon expired many months ago?  


What if our lives are like that?  What if there are Best Used By dates for segments of our lives, or blessings, or for seizing opportunities, or ?????  What if saving, or hanging onto to something that ought to have been tossed long ago is hurtful?



"As long as it is day, we must do the
works of Him who sent Me.  Night is
coming, when no one can work."
~ John 9:4

"It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young."
~ Lamentations 3:27

I'm wondering if that's not one reason why God's mercy is new every morning? The leftovers from yesterday, like Manna, have passed their Best Used By date.  That means I can release what was & reach for what is, & is to come.   And you & know, in the absolute sense, that's Jesus Himself.

All this from gooey nail polish.







"This is what the Lord says ~ He Who 
made a way through the sea, a path
through the mighty waters, Who drew
out the chariots and horses, the army and
reinforcements together, and they lay 
there, never to rise a gain, extinguished,
snuffed out like a wick:
'Forget the former things; do not dwell
on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing'!"
~ Isaiah 43:16-19 


8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Strongly aware that my "expiration date" is getting closer and closer!

What a great reminder here, Kathleen! (And how about a photo of those fancy feet?!?)

Denise said...

Very thought provoking.

Sonja Goodson said...

nail polish and manna... they do preach, don't they? Good and wise words Kathleen.

Debbie Petras said...

I can't tell you how many nail polish bottles I've had to toss from years of not being used. My niece convinced me to try Jamberry nails which are applied very easily and don't damage your own nails. Well, it wasn't as easy as it looked for me. :) But yes, there is a spiritual lesson in all of this talk of nails, etc.

Btw, I'm praying for your pastor especially after listening to the update. What a special person he is!

Love,
Debbie

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is a well written reminder for me today. I was also reminded yesterday at church, as to how much I am like those in the desert, who wanted to hang on to extra manna. God must be wanting to tell me something through these two reminders.

Who but you, could tie nail polish into this lesson?

Happy Monday!

Sharon said...

What a *goo*d lesson!

Isn't it wonderful to know that God never puts an expiration date on our usefulness for Him? To me, that's one of the enemy's biggest lies - that I'm too old to be of much use. Nope, I am not slimy, curdled, or moldy.

God will use me if I continue to yield myself to Him!

Even if my toes are not polished!!

GOD BLESS!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've been guilty of extending life seasons longer than necessary; after a while, those extended stays get a little ripe! I've learned to appreciate the many and varied page-turnings in my life. Seems like I'm always about to finish a chapter and start a new one. Here's a toast to the words yet to be written.

peace~elaine

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Really, really good thoughts! I tend to hold on to things longer than I should lots of times. Things material and things emotional. You've caused me to think on these things today!