Sunday, February 9, 2014

Where's the Beef?

Oh how I miss those sassy grannies who showed up some 30 years ago to lay down the rhetorical gauntlet:  "Where's the beef?".  

These particular ladies were the no-nonsense harbingers of Wendy's (fast food chain) claims about the quality of their hamburgers as compared with their competitor's offerings.  With that one question, they put places like McDonald's, Burger King, Jack-in-the-Box, & others on notice:  Beef matters!  

The point was made ~ plain, simple, clever, powerful, provoking. 

With giggles.




I feel much the same way when I listen to various comments or claims about the Bible and its veracity.  Many a self-styled expert (sadly, some from church leadership among them) would have me believe it's a flawed tome; that it doesn't really mean or say what it means or says.  Worse, they have asked that I set aside the plain sense of God's word to embrace some aberrant form of it.  Some are long on grace but short on truth.  Still others don't give a rip about either. 

In essence, they serve up a burger embellished with lettuce, onions, mayo, relish but sparingly little or absolutely no beef.   

Sound familiar?


Now the serpent was more crafty than any 
of the wild animals the Lord God had made.  
He said to the woman,  "Did God really say
'You may not eat from any tree in the garden'?". 
... "You will not certainly die.", 
said the serpent to the woman. 
Genesis 3:1, 4   

Every word of God is flawless; He 
is a shield to those who take
refuge in Him.
~ Proverbs 30:5

For the word of God is alive and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, 
joints and marrow; it judges the 
thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
~ Hebrews 4:12 

Man shall not live on bread alone, but
on every word that comes from the 
mouth of God.
~ Matthew 4:4 

Beef matters.   



"Truth is the agreement of our ideas 
with the ideas of God."  
~ Jonathan Edwards



7 comments:

Debbie said...

AMEN to all of this... Just couldn't agree more. I believe there are soo many Christians out there who are "luke warm" as they find ways to water down God's Word. And we know what's going to happen to them. May I always strive for the "beef". Hope you have a good day Kathy! HUGS

Sonja Goodson said...

You said it sister!! Sometimes they are oh so subtle, other times flat out flagrant, and all the while, we lean closer to God's Word and let 'the beef' have the final word, always.

I love this...

Praying for Molly so much as she marches toward the finish line in the days ahead. :)

Rebecca said...

SO true, Kathleen. Truth DOES matter! I've been a bit dismayed lately by what passes for "beef".

manthano said...

Right on sister.
I think you have pointed out the germ that
made the whole "Church" the sick thing it
is today.

That may be why Kathryn Kuhlman said,
"God cares very little about man's theology."

Keep it up and may God bless you.

Denise said...

Amen, great post.

Sharon said...

Oh amen, sister! Couldn't agree more. It rankles me to no end when people try to *water down* the word of God! Do they realize who they're messing with???

The Word is Truth, with a capital "T" - and I believe it all. Every flood, every big fish, every water-into-wine word of it.

It is the foundation that I build my life on.

Where's the beef? Between Genesis and Revelation!!

GOD BLESS!

Just a little something from Judy said...

The older I get, the more I see the meat disappearing. I find myself looking places to find meat. I like how you compared it to the little ladies looking for it. The more I study the Bible, the more I find that from Gen.1 to the end of Revelation, is chocked full of beef.

I think and pray for Mollie and you as you face each day. Sometimes, out of the blue, you both come to my mind.