Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cautions, Warnings, Alerts

We've been visited by torrents of rain for a solid 48 hours now; not that I'm complaining.  After all, many across this land are suffering far worse with drought, or ice storms, snow drifts & power outages. 

For the average, run of the mill Washingtonian rain's hardly noteworthy.  And for those who love to ski, it's synonymous with winning the lottery.  What falls in the form of rain down below, falls as snowy powder on high.  Winter here is the skier's happy place.

I never mastered skiing.  It didn't help that I was the victim of arrested development with this particular sport when, at 43 I took my first lesson ~ and that with two other young ladies (operative word = young).  Our handsome, equally young instructor was quick to ensure their success.  Apparently I was invisible; no doubt my white ski jacket didn't help.  From the git-go I didn't much care for the sport.  

Today I was listening to local news on my car radio.  Several times weather reports were given; drivers cautioned to be alert while navigating.  When it came time for the ski reports a different warning was given:  "High avalanche danger.  Stay out of the back country!"  The warning was repeated no less than three times in the course of some 5 minutes.



Sounds reasonable to me ~ someone who's happy to stay out of the front country, not to mention the back country!  But to others it's a dare.  In fact, there are those for whom the back country has such charm that they choose to ignore the winter warnings; the danger. In their minds the thrill of skiing those steep, undisturbed snow courses is worth the risk.  They may or may not be the same people who disregard other warning signs:  Thin ice...  Soft shoulder... Steep grade...  Don't feed the bears... Strong rip tide or under-toe ...     

I'm always saddened when I hear reports of a back country skier, or skiers claimed by an avalanche.  

I could connect so many dots to this one collection of thoughts, but I fear the diminishing return of so doing.  Suffice it to say, when God says, "Danger.  Stay out of the back country.", I best listen.

Some enchantments and thrills just aren't worth it.  

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I learned to ski as an adult and never really get beyond the "baby" slopes. When I saw signs that said "NO" I listened....
I certainly hope there are no accidents with your latest weather....
Are you about ready to move?

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, You aren't the only one having those warnings-here in Colorado there have been more deaths by avalanche in the last month than usually happen during a year period.
I don't even want to go snow shoeing because of the conditions. I've never downhill skied but used to cross country and love snow shoeing.
Take care friend and heed the warnings.
Hugs, Noreen

manthano said...

Isn't that just like mankind to disregard
God's warnings, because we think we
know more?

Denise said...

So true.

Debbie said...

Oh goodness, at first reading this I am thinking to myself, well you certainly wouldn't have to tell me twice NOT to go somewhere like that, lol. But then, when you continue spiritually, it's not always the case...sigh. Good thoughts here. Enjoy your day!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

And this is so true in our spiritual lives as well isn't it! Sometimes we KNOW that God cautions, warns, and alerts us to certain dangers but then we just have to go and do it anyway!! I guess that's why Proverbs tells us "Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell."

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

For ears to hear and then a heart to obey! God keep me from the lure of the back country ...