Friday, January 24, 2014

Learning from Dewey



It stunned me when I actually heard from my own prayerful lips:  "Father, I confess that just because I think something is so, it doesn't make it so.  You alone know the end from the beginning.  Forgive me.".  

Long after those words had left my lips they returned again-and-again in a swirl around my brain like a tennis ball in a clothes dryer.  Why oh why had I prayed that; and in that way?

Surely I believe God's word ~ His inerrant word; His recounting of creation & history, His granting of an understanding of His own plans & purposes, His vast sum of promises, His prophetic landscapes?  Indeed, yes.  No question.  No doubt.

So what's the rub here?

I wish I had a complete answer for you.

In truth, I'm still catching the swirls & filing them into some brainiacy facsimile of the Dewey Decimal System.  At times I find a item that I filed under a section or a division, when all along it belonged in a class by itself.  Conversely, I am tempted to make up a class that's nothing more than a division.  

Worse, I have rarely, at times, too often insisted my feelings (emotions) are synonymous with fact, which makes them impossible to file at all.  

The scriptures remind me about & caution me against the folly of flesh that is so common to man (and woman), and that so easily ensnares & corrupts: 


For I delight in the Law of God according 
to the inward man.  BUT I see another 
law in my members, warring again the 
law of my mind, and bringing me into 
captivity to the law of sin 
which is in my members. 
~ Romans 7:22-23 NIV

Since, then, we do not have the excuse of 
ignorance, everything connected with 
that old way of life has to go.  
It's rotten through and through.  Get rid of it!  
And then take on an entirely new way of life 
~ a God-fashioned life ~ 
a life renewed from the inside and 
working itself into your conduct as 
God accurately reproduced His character in you.
Ephesians 4:22-24 Msg


Anyone's that's been to a library benefits from Dewey's organizational skill.  They also know the lunacy of not following the system's protocol:  You may never find or see your item again.  Ever. 

How would one know if they'd fallen victim to such a badly conceived notion?  I don't know about you, but in my case it's that I find, at some point (and not always right away), that I'm wrong.  Dead wrong.  

Thinking, especially wishful thinking, is not faith.  Nor is Magical Thinking (a very real disorder).  Faith truly is in a class all by itself, and all my thinking may or may not belong to the section or division beneath it.  Sometimes it is God alone who knows what is mis-placed, mis-guided & mis-directed, or that needs to be removed entirely from my mind, my thought-life.  

So, my friends, there you have it.  Clear as mud, right?!!  Probably ... but this isn't:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  
Then you will be able to test and approve 
what God's will is ~ His good, pleasing 
and perfect will.
Romans 12:2

You will keep in perfect peace those whose 
minds are steadfast, because they trust in You.  
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord 
~ the Lord Himself ~ 
is the Rock Eternal.
Isaiah 26:3

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 
and lean not on your own understanding
in all your ways acknowledge Him, 
and He shall direct your paths.  
Do not be wise in your own eyes; 
fear the Lord and depart from evil.  
It will be health to your flesh and 
strength to your bones.
Proverbs 3:5-8

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I totally understand what you're talking about. That's either really good, or we're both a little Dewey screwy!!

I have been told often that things I perceive aren't really the way it is. Especially with my feelings. I guess that's why I need to rely on the Lord, who knows my heart even better than I do!

GOD BLESS!

Terri Tiffany said...

Thinking, especially wishful thinking, is not faith. I do a lot of wishful thinking and it takes me no where. When I read scripture and actually see what God says and promises, I am more grounded and find that peace that is missing when I hope without knowledge,

Sonja Goodson said...

oh does this ever ring true for me!!

Many is the time I've 'felt' sure that God was leading, later to see that the leader was me, charging ahead!

These are very wise words my friend.
I am nodding my head over here, and the Proverbs pasaage is THE answer.

Nancy said...

Our perspectives are filtered through the lens we are looking through making for some interesting perspectives...I think that's why God told us to measure everything against His Word for accuracy....He is the only one with a grip on what is TRUE.....Very interesting post....

manthano said...

AMEN.

Debbie Petras said...

Oh that we would be flexible and learn to listen to His Voice and obey. I've charged ahead with my own ideas and ways too often. And my, I'd almost forgotten about that Dewey decimal system until now. :)

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Just a little something from Judy said...

I can totally relate to the part of "leaning not on my own understanding". It gets me in trouble so often. I think for me, it is the busyness of life that causes me to find too little time for the crucial "be still and know" command. As for the Dewey decimal system...I liked that memory.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Nailed me this morning. What confirmation. Many of these scriptures are written in my journal this week because I have been allowing my emotions to be my facts! God was speaking to get rid of stinking thinking...you confirmed it.
Thanks for your post!!

Patrinas Pencil said...

There is so much truth in your simple honesty. Its a daily process...this renewing your mind. And mindfully taking every thot captive to the obedience of Christ. I have to retract my thots and words...all the time...

A mindful - spiritually minded heart - watered with His Word...is more easily directed by the leading of the Holy Spirit rather than our emotions or wishful thinking. But there is a backside to this...the enemy tries to convince me often - that something the Lord has spoken to me...is in fact just my wishful thinking. Like..."Did God really say?". It is in these times that I have to ask for God's confirmation...one way or the other. It doesn't always come right away, either. He often has much purpose in letting me search a matter out!

Thanks for the reminder of the Proverbs 3 verses...often we just stop at verse 6 - 7 and 8 are not in my memory bank....but I need to correct that. I like the 'health to your flesh' part. It's always the deceptive flesh that covers my heart and mind...in the natural....like a film or fog that tries to settle over me. Thus the need for a daily spiritual checkup!

" Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and depart from evil.
It will be health to your flesh and
strength to your bones. "

thanks for sharing!