Thursday, January 16, 2014

Expectsational

"Then Jesus said to his host, 
'When you give a luncheon or dinner, 
do not invite your friends, your brothers 
or sisters, your relatives, 
or your rich neighbors; 
if you do, they may invite you back 
so you will be repaid.  
But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, 
the crippled, the lame, the blind, 
and you will be blessed.  
Although they cannot repay you, 
you will be repaid 
at the resurrection of the righteous'."  
Luke 14:12-14


Expectations are funny little creatures.  Often they look, or appear to be cute, fuzzy, cuddly, animated little pets until, on closer inspection, they reveal themselves to be a skunk, or a badger, or a crocodile.  Not so cute after-all.

As I pondered the referenced scripture earlier, it occurred to me that now & then ... sometimes ...  far too often I head off in an ordained direction (worthy of a post unto itself) only to find myself, later, wondering why on God's green earth it didn't turn out as I had expected or prayed, if even it happened at all?  I'm not sure I actually expected a personal reward for my unselfish, obedient service.  Then again ...

"One learns to ignore criticism by 
first learning to ignore applause."  
~ Robert Brault

This I know:  There are things that will not happen here and now, or even as I conceive they ought to be.  They may come later, perhaps in a far different form than I could possibly have imagined.  They may not arrive at all.  I don't understand, and I don't need to understand.

It appears I'm in good company given Luke's telling.  If there's anything certain about God and His ways, it's that He/they are often counter-intuitive.  It's not that expectations in themselves are a bad thing, it's when I make them expectsational that they get all whompy ~ as if I know how this or that should unfold or end, or how God intends to work in any given situation.  Hubris makes of them synonymous with God's own word, while humility leaves the results to Him and Him alone.  

So, though I scratch my head, I totally get that expectations can have fangs and claws, or stink to high heaven (literally).  Best that I ask (whatever) in faith, and leave my own little paws off both outcomes & the taking of bows (the kind that require bending, not the the sort you'd put in your hair).  



What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.
~ Abraham Lincoln


4 comments:

Sonja Goodson said...

I sit and laugh out loud at this one Kathleen. How true, how true.

What a way you have with these words of yours, and the gift you've been given to weave them all into something that sticks! REALLY sticks!

Rebecca said...

Not NEEDING to understand... Now THAT is hard (as is leaving the outcome to Him).

♥I love it that we are still learning♥

Cheryl Barker said...

Leaving the results to Him -- what an important lesson and one that comes with great peace.

Continuing to pray for your precious Molly!

a woman who is said...

I have never heard of Jackass Butte, so I had to look it up. Looks like perhaps you are overlooking the Columbia. I can only imagine. I have a very close friend who grew up in Brewster and still owns some old family property there. Every heard of the Troutman's? They of coarse had orchards in the old days. Some day we need to explore that part of WA.
So very happy for you. It sounds like a lovely place to muse.