Tuesday, October 8, 2013

U-Turns

First, an update on Molly.

She was discharged from the hospital last Friday.  I doubt I've ever seen anyone so eager to get home, or more joyful once nestled there.  There was a good deal of Happy Dancin' going on, including some of you who will remain nameless ~ like Sonja Goodson.  

But that all changed over the weekend when a fever & chest pain came to call.  Yesterday Molly was re-admitted to the hospital while the doctors figure out what's happening in her body.  Most likely it's a resurgence of pneumonia ~ an illness she battled earlier this year, long before her cancer diagnosis.  The removal of a portion of her diaphragm during her recent surgery has made it difficult to get a deep breath and is, no doubt, contributing in a not-so-positive way. 

We'll know more in the hours to come, so once again I've put out the APB for prayer. 

Second, a bit of wisdom.

It was not long ago that Elaine Olsen paid me a phone visit.  We've chatted a number of times since our first having met each other back in the initial days of our blogging, 2007.  Many of you know her, as well as her own courageous battle with breast cancer just three years ago.  Some of you have gathered peace for your own journey because of her pen.  She's a fabulous wordsmith, speaker, blogger, pastor's wife, homeschool teacher, author & friend.  I can hear any number of you shouting "Amen!" to that.  Elaine's skilled at making lemonade out of lemons. 

Something Elaine shared with me during the referenced phone chat struck deep & tenderly.  She called primarily to offer support & encouragement because of Molly's cancer diagnosis, but a portion of that conversation has lingered long in my heart.  

This is what Elaine told me (paraphrased) ...

"When I was enduring Chemotherapy, my mother was there each and every time.  She was so strong and such a comfort.  It was her finest hour.  Because of that, I feel compelled to tell parents of grown children never to conclude they are no longer needed as parents in their children's lives.  Nothing could be further from the truth."

Her finest hour.  Your finest hour.  My finest hour.

What a ministry.



13 comments:

Renee Regnier said...

Still praying for Molly! Hang on tight to the Lord, which I know you are doing!

Sonja Goodson said...

Kathleen & Molly:

While my first happy dance celebrated Molly's progress in the hospital, I'm still inclined to do another one today... to celebrate mom & daughter, and the special bond you share. I agree with Elaine... this may be your finest hour Kathleen.

Big hugs!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Your torch of faith has never burned more brightly, Sassy. Carry it forward to the next generation and the next and the next. We all feel warmth beneath your flame.

Love and prayers continue for the Flanagan clan.

peace`elaine

Nancy said...

I continue to pray for Molly..On many occasions now the Lord has brought Molly to my mind and I have stopped and prayed for her and your entire family.

She is so blessed to have a Mom like you and I want you to know you are a shining light to all who read your blog....

Debbie said...

Definitely still praying over here Kathleen and I thank you for the update so I can pray more specifically. I too am so inspired by the example you ALWAYS set, but even more so now with the season you are in. My "mom heart" over here is moved to tears, but standing strongly right beside you! HUGS

Rebecca said...

What a concept - "your finest hour"...

Currently, parent/child roles are reversed as I care for my father (triple by-pass) and mother (dementia) both in a nursing home.

What a weird but wonderful experience...

Maryann said...

Will continue to pray for Molly, appreciate the update, it's always nice to know how to specifically pray for someone. Wonderful words of wisdom from Elaine, I know this will be your finest hour Kathleen, again will be praying

Denise said...

Prayers and love continue for dear Molly, and for you my friend.

Peggy said...

Praying for Molly. That's true. I think we are needed in our grown daughter's lives.

Saleslady371 said...

I agree with Elaine. In fact, several times I praised God that you are now living in WA where you need to be. God knew. He always does. Prayers continuing for Molly.

Sharon said...

Continued prayers for Molly - and for you. I just know that God is going to do a great work of healing. After all, I want to join Sonja in that happy dance...

And yes, Elaine's words have often brought tremendous wisdom and comfort to my life. And she's right - God still uses moms in the lives of their grown-up children - and He does it in a mighty way.

Stand strong, dear sister, you are greatly needed.

GOD BLESS!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Kathleen and Molly,
What a pair the two of you are! Having daughters myself, every post during this painful journey has spoken deeply to my. I can't tell you how God is using two such beautiful and strong women, to speak to my heart. My heartfelt prayers continue on for both of you.

Cheryl Barker said...

Keeping Molly in my prayers, Kathleen!