Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Bothering With a Blog




What's a Blog?

Back in the early part of 2007 I worked alongside a tech-savvy website geek named Michael.  Until he mentioned it, I'd never heard of blogging (short for keeping a World-Wide-Web Log).  His passion for it could hardly be contained.  

Initially I found Michael's proclivities for the virtual world a bit on the kookie, weird, bazaar, whacky, somewhat questionable side of the equation.  Afterall, who in their right mind would collect & harbor their thoughts in some sort of virtual world?  Why would they even want to?

By August of that year, Michael convinced me I ought to give it a try.  He offered some suggestions, answered a few of my sarcastic, skeptical, curious questions, and stood in the wings as I reluctantly took my first baby steps in the realm we all now know to be the Blogosphere.  Back then, it might as well have been The Twilight Zone.

I was stealthily clandestine about my initial efforts, suffering from apoplexy over the very thought that someone ~ anyone ~ might actually find my Blog & read it.  Perish the thought!  But it didn't deter me, so in August of that year I went live.

The rest is history.

Today ~ some 6+ years, 884 posts & 27,036 visitors hence ~ I can honestly say all the clamor about blogging was in vain.  I'm glad I turned a deaf ear to the naysayers (It's dangerous. People will stalk you and show up at your house with an ax. Your identity will be stolen. You'll get all sorts of hate-comments.  And the like ... ).  

In those same 6+ years I've encountered two or three visitors whose comments I deleted (with nary a moment's angst or hesitation).  I've encountered hundreds more that have blessed me in ways I never thought possible.  Some say it's been mutual.  Blessings do have a way of flowing in both directions, don't they?  I've made myriad friends, some for life.  My world ~ both the real one & the virtual one ~ would lack luster were it not for Elaine, Sonja, Debbie, Judy, Beth, Mary, Luther, Sharon, Noreen, Rebecca, Renee, and others whose lives have forever been hitched to my wagon.

Don't get me wrong:  there's a lot about blogging that drives me batty, to distraction.  Whenever I feel fueled by expectation I know I need a break, or a return to my moorings.  I've taken LOTS of breaks.

So, what's a Blog?  Well, the answer to that question is as different as we are.  For me, it has been and will forever be a place to chronicle the events & heart ponderings of my life ~ and this for my children & grandchildren.  The fact that I've amassed so many BBFFs (aka = Blogging Best Friends Forever) is a huge, unanticipated by-product & bonus blessing. 

Thank you, Michael.

Thank you, all my visiting friends.


12 comments:

Debbie said...

Well this post could certainly have been written by me...only I haven't been at it quite as long. 5 years for me. But I love to write my thoughts out, always have, and I print my blogs up for a year and have them in nice books so it is the perfect journal of life should anyone ever be interested, lol. I don't have to even print pictures anymore as all my fav's are on my blog somewhere. Meeting and following along on the lives of my blogging friends has honestly become an important part of my life and makes all the occasional frustrations worth while. And I am always especially blessed visiting here. I am STILL amazed however that anyone might actually be interested in what I have to say! lol Enjoy your day Kathleen, and hope all is going well with your daughter. She is still in my prayers!

myletterstoemily said...

i love you blog, because you have many
wonderful things to say.

Nancy said...

I too think of your daughter often and wonder how she is doing...I continue to pray for her....

You bring up an interesting issue about blogging...I too thought it was crazy in the beginning but I have been blessed beyond measure with the people I have met and you are one of them....

We Christian sisters need each other's encouragement and you never fail to provide words of hope.....

Renee Regnier said...

I am forever grateful for your blog! Blessings, my friend!

Renee

Debbie Petras said...

I am so glad that you began blogging or I would never have had the opportunity to meet you in person. And I just love you Kathleen. I always enjoy your posts. So thank you Michael and I love many of the same bloggers you do.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Sonja Goodson said...

Me too!!! I ditto what you have said, and the comments above. You have enriched my life, you are always a steady voice and truth teller, as well as a girl who enjoys a good laugh! My kind of girl Kathleen, and I am so thankful for you.

Molly and all of you remain close to my heart and in my prayers. She is a daughter to be proud of, as you already know.

xo

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Yes, Yes, Yes...and I know I have been blessed by you and sooooooooooooo many others. Thanks for putting it all into such wonderful words.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I thank God that He used Michael in a very special way, to ultimately bless my life in more ways than you can imagine. Who would have ever thought that I would have the distinct privilege of meeting friends like you, Kathleen, and others who inspire, encourage, uplift, and spur me on in my daily life. I cannot thank God enough for the gift of blogging. Yes, there are times I am totally discouraged with the whole concept, but then I think of all the ways it continues to bless my heart and soul, and once more, I stop and I thank God for it.

I also count it an honor, to pray for you, Molly, and your family through this part of your life journey.

Thank you for this well written post, that just happens to express the thoughts of my heart also.

Skoots1moM said...

Blogging Buddies bless and get blessed...love it! So grateful to hear your God-filled words ;)

Peggy said...

I'm so glad you started blogging 6+ years ago. your blog posts have blessed me.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Exceedingly grateful for the tie that bound our hearts together many years ago. I really don't know how much longer I'll be writing in this forum, but I'll always be at home when visiting your cyber address.

peace~elaine

Sheryl said...

wow am i glad you listened to michael!!! i always love to read what you write but i ultimately am grateful for your friendship! praying for you and yours. love you!