Saturday, September 14, 2013

Dialing In

 
You can't depend on your eyes when your
imagination is out of focus.
~ Mark Twain
 
 
Focus.  It doesn't seem like much unless you don't have it.  I know. 

I bought my first pair of in earnest spectacles this year.  It entailed dilation & numbing of my eyeballs, followed by a block of torturous time responding to whatever the Opthamologist dialed in.  Next came an exercise in finding as many scurrying pin-pricks of light as could be found in the confines of an itty-bitty screen.  Instead of $12 reading glasses, I am now the proud owner of $149 Bifocals. 

Focus comes with a price.

Sometimes I get lazy & leave the new contraptions where I last laid them.  Funny thing ... I'm often searching for pair of glasses to find my glasses.    

It's hazardous-going without focus.

I've been known to attempt herculean deciphering feats with my glasses.  This gets me into a bit of trouble at times; times when I'm required to read labels at the grocery store, or when I'm adding a new ingredient to some recipe.  "1/4 tsp" invariable looks like "3/4 tbsp.".  Not bad unless we're talking salt, or cayenne pepper.  Moreover, it's never good to work on one's guilt when it ought to be a quilt.  Huge mistake!

The propensity for error increases when focus is difficult or lacking altogether.

Recently there's been a volley of new challenges in our lives.  Some are wonderful & inspiring, the sort that attend a much-anticipated new adventure.  Others not so much.  These come in the form of quandaries, worries, heartaches, & the like.  Yet it is these ~ both the wonderful and the not-so-wonderful ~  that remind me of how vital is focus. 

With flawed focus, a lot of good stuff is overlooked.

Recently, as if flowing from the heavenly dimension right into my own, came the thought:  Focus on the "cans" and not on the "can'ts".  

I realize such a thought is hardly earth-shattering, nor will it gain me recognition among the great thinkers or wits.  But it packed a powerful punch worth pondering none-the-less.

That which garners my focus often determines the quality, or lack thereof, of my life.

Focus.  It can be a recipe for success, or peace, or praise.  Or it can be a recipe for angst, or anger, or worry ... if not a whole lot more that stifles my peace.  The difference is, most often, whether I wear my prescription lenses or not. 
   

Focus on the cans and not on the can'ts.
 
 
We demolish arguments and every pretension
that sets itself up against the knowledge of God,
and we take captive every thought
to make it obedient to Christ.
~ 2 Corinthians 10:5


" ... whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable ~
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy ~
think about such things."
~ Philippians 4:8




 

6 comments:

Sonja Goodson said...

You know I am focusing with you... on the 'cans and not on the cant's', and that's exactly what He wants us to do! :) I have a few of my own, and it was just what He gave me this morning in my quiet time. We're on the same page and we have the same God!!

I just had to reach for the specs right now when I missed your first word verification. :)

Denise said...

Enjoyed this post.

Saleslady371 said...

So very true...we choose what we are going to think on - something I tell myself several times a day. I need to see my eye doctor too.

Maryann said...

Such a timely word for me this morning, especially Philippians 4:8. His word always refreshes.

Cheryl Barker said...

That's advice, Kathleen, that's always worth the reminder. Makes all the difference in fact. And hey, good luck adjusting to the bifocals :)

elaine@ peace for the journey said...

In the last few days, I've intentionally focused my eyes and heart on the eyes and heart of the Father. I've shut out as many of the distractions that I could, so that I could stay on course with God's leading. And while my earthly vision continues to grow weaker with age, my heart vision is growing in strength.

Looking with you through the lens of God's mercy and grace, friend.

I love you dearly.
~elaine