Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Matter of Will

"I knew Jesus, and He was very precious to my soul;
but I found something in me that would not keep sweet
and patient and kind.
I did what I could to keep it down, but it was there.
I besought Jesus to do something for me, and,
when I gave Him my will, He came to my heart,
and took out all that would not be sweet,
all that would not be kind, all that would not be patient,
and then HE shut the door."
~ George Fox
 
 
 

What joy it's been to spend so many days & weeks in the simple pursuits of life.  Many a summer moment has given birth to a score of new blessings and, with them, new memories.

Even so ... my soul is mindful of the messy places within.  I don't so much see them as I smell them ~ much as it was when my now-grown boys tossed banana peels beneath their beds when teens rather than walk to the garbage can. 

Today I would dearly love to get out the Swiffer or the squeegee & give the messy places a good once-over.  But once-overs aren't in order, nor is my own hand much good at the ordering of a soul, my own included.  Surrender.  That's what is called for.

I relish all the doings of recent months.  From family reunions to a Hawaiian vacation; from house guests to Home Group BBQs; from sister get togethers to birthday celebrations.  The collection thus far is among my favorites.    

That said, there is far more going on beneath the surface of my life than above ground.  Isn't that often the way?  At present it is my will that is framed with a scaffolding.  Oh, I didn't put it there ~ you can be certain of that.  But I've been listening to the Lord's hammer for many days as He readies something about which I'm curious ... and even a wee bit nervous.  I recognize the early stages of an Extreme Will Makeover.  

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials
of various kinds, for you know that the testing of
your faith produces steadfastness.
And let steadfastness have its full effect,
that you may be perfect and complete,
lacking in nothing.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God,
who gives generously to all without reproach,
and it will be given him.
~ James 1:1-27

With that I retire, certain that what is to come is always better than what has been.  God does such amazing makeovers if I'll but allow Him.

" ... present your bodies as a living sacrifice,
holy and acceptable to God,
which is your spiritual worship."
~ Romans 12:1
 
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  
~ Philippians 4:13




 

9 comments:

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Extreme Will Makeover...LOVE IT!

listening to the Lord's hammer.....

You're on fire this morning with Godly wisdom!

You ROCK as always :)
R

Nancy said...

I know God brought me over here for a reason and now I know...He wanted me to partake of the wisdom He has given you. You see I too have many smelly areas that need the hammer....So glad to have sisters in the Lord like you that listen for His heartbeat and then share that we all may ponder His thoughts....

Sassy Granny, you are gifted in knowing how to place words together...

Skoots1moM said...

His Words dance out the end of your fingers...love reading your ponderings

Maryann said...

We know when the scaffolding is going up don't we? When we are about to have an extreme will makeover. You are blessed that your ears are atuned to what his spirit is doing in your life

Sonja Goodson said...

Why do I feel like I am on the same page?? Probably because you are so well able to voice the things of the heart.

That 'will' of ours has a way of clinging to doing things our way, usually far too long. The letting go of it seems a life long process. As you said, God does amazing things when we LET Him. You would think that since we KNOW that, we would yield control quickly and easily. I am so thankful that He doesn't give up his process in us. :)

Hugs!

Denise said...

Praying for you my friend.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You are safe in the Carpenter's hands . . . not always comfortable, but certainly and surely safe.

peace~elaine

Cheryl Barker said...

Love how you're calling it an Extreme Will Makeover. Seems we all need those from time to time, huh?

Debbie Petras said...

I love how you termed it Extreme Will Makeover. My one word for 2013 is ...surrender. And now everywhere I go and everything I read seems to contain that word; surrender. Brokenness is often what it takes for me to surrender. And that is happening as He is transforming me. What a good word. Keep on sharing Kathleen.

Blessings and love,
Debbie