Saturday, June 1, 2013

Perfectly Ducky




Today's headline:  "Some Washington Police Dogs
Re-trained to Avoid Smelling Marijuana".

What's pooch to do?  First they're trained to sniff out anything that approximates a drug, then they're trained to ignore certain drugs that were once illegal ... but no longer.  Here in Washington State, those clever canines can no longer catch the Cannabis criminal.  There's no such thing.

It's a true tale in these here parts.  Like the end of Prohibition of a bygone era, Marijuana is now showing up anywhere one takes a notion to pot it.

Too, Billboard Magazine boasts the "Top 20 Weed Smokin' Songs".  We have been granted a whole new genre to choose from when singing along on long car rides, or at family gatherings.     

I was 50 years old before I heard/knew/understood what a Doobie is.  It's not the only thing that was lost on me.  To this day I believe a joint has everything to do with knuckles & knees.  I discover such things rather often, in fact.     

My intention is not to rant about the perils of Marijuana usage (even though we all know how much I do enjoy a good rant now-and-then).  I don't know what, if any, those perils might be anyway.  Many, even physicians, tell us it's very effective in treating certain illnesses.  They may be right. 

You see, it ~ Weed ~ followed on my heels as a child of the 60s, but didn't make its popular debut until long after I was of a mind to even try the stuff.  The generation(s) following me had no such impediment, much less reticence.  It was well known & well loved by those of the tie-dye crowd.  Many others as well.

Make no mistake:  I've done my fair share of wild & whacky things as a young woman, some I'm not terribly proud of.  So this isn't about assigning guilt or shame, or even to judge the happy campers here in Washington State that are overjoyed with the State's change of laws where Marijuana is concerned. 

Actually, my particular pithy purpose is to point out the plummet of principles & practices once perilous (if not downright immoral or illegal), but which are now perfectly ducky.  Marijuana use is itty-bitty by comparison.  

Today you don't have to be a Hippie to hug some Hemp ~ at least not here.   But that's not the half (or even the quarter or eighth) of it.  There's a growing group of things far more concerning than Marijuana use that have made their way to the Perfectly Ducky Domain as well.  Like the police pooch enduring an unlearning drill, we are being asked to do likewise.

As for me, I'll take my Perfectly Ducky cues from God's word instead of the government or culture.  I never was very good at unlearning drills anyway.
    
 

What sorrow for those who say
    that evil is good and good is evil,
that dark is light and light is dark,
    that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter.

Isaiah 5:20 (NLT)   


So whether you eat or drink or whatever
you do, do it all for the glory of God. 
1 Corinthians 10:31
 
 

8 comments:

Sonja said...

hemp, hippie, doobie, marijuana... thank the Lord, that's one era I skipped entirely. God's rules apply, whatever and whenever we grew up. The great thing is... He never changes!

Terri said...

The verses make profound statements about today's world. Apparently I missed the news about legal pot in Washington State. I don't watch the news anymore if I can help it, so that's probably why I didn't know.

Denise said...

Amen, totally agree with Sonja.

Skoots1moM said...

i found myself just shaking my head...this world continues to get more and more confusing and miscombobulated...

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Never been interested at all in weed...and you said it well. Amen for the scripture. So many things becoming legal that go against the word of God...that is why we have to be in His word and not look at the culture.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"Like the police pooch enduring an unlearning drill, we are being asked to do likewise."

So well said, Sassy, and applicable at so many levels. Scary times we're living in.

~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

What ran through my mind as I read this post, is that I was at such an impressionable age when the hippie movement and Woodstock were big. I was caught up in it all, and yet God in His mercy and grace, spared me from so much. That is what I cling to now with my grandchildren and many others. No matter how society goes, to which I have absolutely no control, God is still God and He is still faithful! No matter how scary it all appears to me...He is still God and He will prevail. And, the best is yet to come!

As always, you said it so well. I love dwelling on the solid fact, that Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever, no matter how many things are legalized, and how many billboard messages are broadcast.

Debbie Petras said...

I grew up right smack dab in the middle of the hippie generation. And I lived on Long Island, NY. I almost went to Woodstock but had to work in the Record Department (that is music for those who are younger) of Billy Blake's. That was kind of like a K-Mart of sorts. But I'm thankful for God's grace and mercy and ...patience with me. I look to His Word and to obey.

Love you,
Debbie