Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Legacies

"Listen here, little lady, who do you think you're talking to?"

It wasn't really a question. 

Long before I understood the meaning of rhetorical, she used object-lessons to make its meaning abundantly clear.  The gig was up and, in essence, I'd been busted. 

It was never good to be a little lady. 

Even now the very thought of my mother makes me smile.

At times I thought her to be old-fashioned ~ a fuddy-duddy.  Worse, I thought she was a clean freak & far too churchy.  The word chore in her vocabulary meant chain gang labor in mine.  I have always been suspicious about who actually taught those 7 Dwarfs their "Hi-Ho" song!

Mostly I adored her, but I honestly used to tell her:  "When I grow up, I'm not going to make my children ________." (fill in the blank with whatever required work or discipline).  She just grinned.


This is probably as good a place as any to say that I DID grow up (or that I'm still in the process), and I DID make my children do those same things.   Like mother, I often found myself on the receiving end of little lady or little dude protests; and often I wore her hand-me-down grin.

Many years & many lessons have passed since anyone gave me a little lady summons.  Those things that tormented my childish sensibilities notions long ago are treasures to me today.  Most of them are captured in terms like work ethic, integrity, character, order, trustworthiness.

This little lady is so glad for a mother (and father) who never compromised the important things.



14 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Great post, Kathleen. Made me smile :) By the way, I call my girls "little lady" but it's a term of endearment for us. Fun to hear how it means something different to you :)

Skoots1moM said...

love this post...we watched them and they watched us, and I pray one day she has a little one to watch her (with me to see it)

Cheryl Barker said...

Great post, Kathleen. Made me smile :) I've used the term "little lady" for my girls throughout the years, but it's a term of endearment for us. Fun to hear how it means something different in your family :)

Denise said...

Wonderful post my friend. I have always loved that song.

Nel said...

Boy did that bring back memories! Love the song! Beautiful!
Isn't it amazing how smart they become the older we get and how sometimes you say something and you almost want to see if your momma is standing behind you! Memories love them!
until next time...nel

Rebecca said...

I SO love that song! It actually played itself in my mind last week as we hosted three of our grandchildren for a few days.

Sounds like we had similar mothers :)

And while I'm "proud" of the way our children are raising their families, I think it has more to do with the grace of God than my own parenting skills - which were faulty at best. Sigh....

manthano said...

How many of us appreciate our parents, now.
And we wish they were here so we could tell
them.

Thanks for the post.

Sonja said...

You are right! "Little lady" is not a good thing. :)

Steve Green's music has always been among my favorite. Years ago he did a concert at our church in Dallas. His voice filled that place. I love this particular song.

I'm thankful too, for the same kind of mother and father in my life. I also have been given that grin from my mother, as well as given my own to my kids. It's pretty amazing how little we knew then and thought we knew so much, and how much more we know now and realize we know so little! :)

Debbie said...

haha Have both heard and said that "little lady" thing. And kind of scary too how some of the things I heard and then used, have come out of the mouths of my children too...A couple of them are...

"Who cat pawed through this basket of clothes looking for something?" (I know, a weird one)

"No one is done, till everyone is done!" (how my kids groaned at this one...but my oldest son called the other day laughing said he just said it to his kids while they were cleaning out the garage, haha)

elaine @peace for the journey said...

Grinning over here thinking about your "little lady." I can hear you now...
Something tells me my "little lady" doesn't come out so amusing to my kids.

Peace-elaine

RCUBEs said...

Funny that your "little lady" faded and became a shadow of a great mom, God-fearing and having the true courage to stand up for what is right! That is a true gem!

Patrina's Pencil said...

love this... I saw my mama as you spoke of yours... her hand-me-down grin was too much. Actually I didn't see her grin...until this little lady had grown up and had her own little lady to lead.

Then.... mama's grin came often! ..and now...i get to share mama's grin with its timeless unspoken truth ...to my grown up little lady that has her own little lady to lead.

Funny ...funny ...funny

your children will become what you are so be what you want them to be... i love this!

loved the song. I used to play it over and over... the whole album.. my kids were still at home...wow...that's an old song!!

hugs,
patrina <")>><

Just a little something from Judy said...

I heard my mother's voice as I read the "little lady" part. So often lately, I have found myself thinking, I am becoming my mother. Really, that is not a bad thing, since she is one beautiful, gracious lady.

Thanks for the reminder of Steve Green's wonderful song and the memories it brought with it.

I am so thankful that you are blogging again.

Sarah said...

... you are such an encouragement. Over the years, I have found such encouragement through your words. I am going after the joy of mom in my life. And I could use your gift. To share your wisdom, encouragement, and joy of mom.

So, I am trying something new. Posting on my lil' blog about mom. Momma notes. Would you consider joining me and sharing a post from your blog. It doesn't have to be a new post. There are so many on your blog I could choose. Simple mom words.

Monday I will have a linky thingie. My hope is that we can be encouraged and encourage other moms.

If I did it right, you can find it here ...
http://www.justsarahdawn.blogspot.com

Be blessed bunches,
Sarah