Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pachydermitis



"Be strong and courageous.
Do not be frightened,
and do not be dismayed,
for the LORD your God is
with you wherever you go.” 
 ~ Joshua 1:9
 

From the time they're smallish ~ a mere 250 pounds at birth ~  elephants are trained to stay put with a tether & a stake.  As they mature to well over 6 tons (aka 12,000 pounds) they come to believe they are powerless to get away.  Which is why a full grown pachyderm will remain in place with only a tether to hold it ~ oblivious to their own power; a power that could free them.  They've been conditioned to believe a lie.
 
Interesting thought to ponder, isn't it?  I'm not sure why it's come to mind today, but it's certainly given me pause:  What might a tether of the human sort be?  What (known, or even unknown) thing might keep anyone constrained or confined; unplugged from the Power Source so ready accessible?  
  • Haunting words from childhood?
  • A difficult relationship?
  • A besetting sin, like pride?
  • Fearfulness or worry?
  • A wound of the heart?
  • Failure?
  • Betrayal?

With thoughts the size of elephants, I'm destined to ponder this one a long while. 


... God who equipped me with strength and
made my way blameless.
He made my feet like the feet of a deer 
and set me secure on the heights.
He trains my hands for war,
so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
~ Psalm 18:32-34
 
... whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God;
whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength
that God supplies—in order that in everything
God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.
To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. 
~ 1 Peter 4:11
 
For sin will have no dominion over you,
since you are not under law but under grace. 
~ Romans 6:14
 
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength
of His might. Put on the whole armor of God,
that you may be able to stand against
the schemes (tethers) of the devil.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers, against the authorities,
against the cosmic powers over this present darkness,
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Therefore take up the whole armor of God,
that you may be able to withstand in the evil day,
and having done all, to stand firm.
Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth,
and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
and, as shoes for your feet,
having put on the readiness given by
the gospel of peace.
In all circumstances take up the shield of faith,
with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts
of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation,
and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer
and supplication. To that end keep alert
with all perseverance,
making supplication for all the saints. 
~ Ephesians 6:10-18

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! That is an interesting (and frightening) "picture". Sin really is deceiving. The truth sets us free!

My chains are gone!
I've been set free...
My God, My Savior has ransomed me.
And like a flood
His mercy reigns.
Unending love;
Amazing grace!

(On my mind because our praise team is singing this tomorrow....)

Renee Regnier said...

Very intriguing thought! I like this analogy! Blessings!

Denise said...

Wow, thought provoking.

manthano said...

Great lesson there. Thanks.
Now I need to see were all
I am chained.

Again, Thanks.

Nancy said...

What a great analogy of how the lies we believe keep us in chains..
Jesus paid it all and so often we ignore the freedom He provides..

Thank you so much for this post....I will continue to ponder all it's ramifications....

Patrina's Pencil said...

awesome powerful post! I love that scripture....putting on the whole armor of God.... It just has a power to it every time I read it!

Claiming it again and again.

That bit about the elephants...yes...very thought provoking... reminded me of my daddy too.. when he had his stroke and became ..in his mind, an invalid.

Even though he could move his limbs and fingers...his mind resisted the truth of what his eyes saw himself do. Because he had a 'resistive' stroke...his mind resisted reality.

Like the elephant, he believed a lie...he was no longer a viable strong man. He was an in-valid man. The lie convinced him that he was an invalid ...and then...he literally became one.

Very contemplative truth you placed before us, Kathleen. I too shall be pondering it for quite a while.

Thanks so much for bringing the truth to light.

blessings
patrina <")>><

Cheryl Barker said...

Great analogy, Kathleen. I didn't realize that elephants are conditioned this way from the time they are young. Definitely makes a powerful application to our lives!

elaine@ peace for the journey said...

The strength of God that accompanies us in all our times, especially in troublesome hours, is an amazing gift of grace - one that I have completely fallen upon in recent days.

I am weak, but (and that's a big but) HE IS STRONG!

Why do we limit Him and in doing so, limit our progression?

peace~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

"Amazing grace" given to us gives us the real freedom to break away. Freedom to be who we want to be and freedom to be all that He has for us to be. I did not realize that fact about elephants, but I do know that as a sheep, I often live as one without a shepherd.

So well written my friend.