Monday, March 4, 2013

What Lies Beneath?

What lies beneath? 

Sounds like an opening teaser to a creepy movie, doesn't it?  Come to think of it, I believe there is just such a title out there. 

This week I was saddened to hear the story about the man in Florida who was dramatically swallowed by a sink hole beneath his bedroom.  Fast asleep & unawares, the earth's gaping maw opened up wide & deep (some say over 100 feet) to claim him.  In a split second he was gone.  All rescue attempts failed.



I have thought about that nightmare story since first learning of the tragedy.  It's chilling.  The spiritual implications are profound.

The opening salvo of the referenced website (below) reads: 

"Sinkholes are part of the slow, natural process of erosion
in Florida’s limestone terrain that occur over thousands of years.
These common geologic phenomena generally occur where the
limestone is within a few hundred feet of the land’s surface."
  • A slow, common phenomenon.
  • Erosion.  Just beneath the surface. 
  • Seeping water & toxic formations of carbon dioxide and decay.
  • Hazardous migration of water; destroying much of the area(s) around it.
Apparently these natural occurences cannot be prevented, but they can be avoided.  There are actually warning signs that might well save lives if heeded.  Such a big "if".

It all sounds so familiar.

Today I wonder at the sin(k) holes in and/or near my life.  What might be lurking there ~ just beneath the surface ~ ready to swallow me when I least expect it? 

Am I guarding my own heart as instructed?

Make no mistake:  my intention is not inclined towards fear-mongering.  Rather, it's an object lesson in life.  Call it "World Studies", if you will. 

Be alert and of sober mind.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like
a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Resist him, standing firm in the faith,
because you know that the family of believers
throughout the world is undergoing
the same kind of sufferings.
And the God of all grace, who called you
to his eternal glory in Christ,
after you have suffered a little while,
will himself restore you and make you
strong, firm and steadfast.
To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.   
~ 1 Peter 5:8-11 




LINK:  How Sinkholes are Formed

14 comments:

Denise said...

Thought provoking post my friend.

Debbie said...

I found that story such a nightmare too. I honestly can't imagine. And what a good analogy you made out of it. Satan does look for ANY way he can to destroy and cause us to sink into sin. Good thoughts. Enjoy your day!

Rebecca said...

Kathleen - this is SO true! I think it's also why it's so important to have Christian friends who will speak truth into our lives and shine light on the "dark" spots that we are unaware of in our own lives!

Renee Regnier said...

Wonderful comparison! Thank you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

The evil schemes perpetrated by the enemy lurk on every corner and, sometimes, beneath the soil of our feet. We must stay vigilant; not fearful, but as you so wisely advise, prepared! Just when we think we've got him beat, well the ground gives way, and we're sucked in.

PS: This is a terrible sadness; I've felt it deeply this week. My heart goes out to those who are grieving this loss.

manthano said...

AMEN

Sonja said...

This story got me too, so sad and shocking for that family.

Your point was well taken, and having a 'heart on guard' is a constant need! I love that scripture!

Peggy said...

Another evidence that we need to always be ready, always watching. Such a sad story. So good to see your blog again.
I always enjoy it.

Cheryl Barker said...

The enemy would like nothing better than to swallow us whole. Indeed we need to stay on the alert! (Thanks for pointing out the spiritual parallels in the sinkhole story -- hadn't considered those yet.)

Glenda said...

I appreciate your lesson - one that each of us needs to think about. Reminding us to be alert is not a fear tactic but is realistic, relevant and wise advice. We can't afford not to search our own hearts!! Great post!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

this event has stayed with me also, wondering the lessons that we all should learn from it...spiritual lessons..thanks for sharing what you got from it

Just a little something from Judy said...

The verses you shared are appropriate for the horror of the new's story. So unexpected, so terrifying, and so shocking, are the accounts of this story. I ask God today to make me aware of those things in my life that can be described the same way. To be vigilant and on the lookout for the enemy's tactics. I like that you turned my thoughts to this profound portion of Scripture. Thank you!

Sharon said...

This is the weirdest thing. How sad for that family.

I love the faith lesson that you worked out of it, though. Yes, there are sinkholes lurking in our lives. We must stay on alert.

GOD BLESS!

RCUBEs said...

That was scary! And to think sinkholes can happen without one knowing where it will appear...Good analogy you gave regarding sins...Scary that we can't see the consequences...and how disastrous in the end!