Monday, March 25, 2013

Weathered, Heathered & Feathered

Oh the glories of Spring! 



April hath put a spirit of
youth in everything. 
~William Shakespeare

Here in the Pacific NW the Cherry Blossoms are pregnant with promise; so pregnant (at nearly 10 suntimeters) that one can almost hear their labored groaning in the birthing of their blooms.  In the adjacent ward are Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Lilacs and such.  All of them, and many more besides are represented in my backyard ~ a daily reminder, if not proof positive that life follows death.       

In the valley nearby, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths & primroses have come alive, ready to grace beds, baskets & pots.  Gawking is free.
 

Spring here doesn't necessarily herald the arrival of sunshine or warm days, but it certainly does herald the end of a long, dark, oft-grey Winter.  Unlike other regions of the country, Spring doesn't burst forth in these parts.  It slowly meanders.  It leaves me tempted to put away my socks & heavy coats; to drag out my summer attire & set out the chaise lounges.  But ... I've lived here long enough to know NOT to fall prey to that particular notion.  Truly warm weather isn't due for many weeks yet.  Some say there's no such thing here. 

If we had no winter, the spring
would not be so pleasant;
if we did not sometimes taste
of adversity, prosperity would not
be so welcome. 
~Anne Bradstreet
 
 
This morning, while out conducting my early morning ritual of walking I couldn't help but notice the brilliance of the the Purple Heather.  Talk about glorious!  It's at its most spectacular best right now.  For a brief moment I was again walking the moors of Northern Scotland, where just last Fall I fell in love with moss and heather.  Have I mentioned that Scotland has a way of making a bog a resort destination? 



And then there's the birdsong.  For several days now, the tweets (the REAL deal, not that stuff one gathers via Twitter) are melodic.  The Robins have returned, as have numerous other bird varieties - Flickers & Crossbills, Sparrows & Grosbeaks.  There's a virtual confab at the bird feeders!



Today, as with so many bygone days, I am amazed at the power of Spring.  New beginnings.  Tender shoots.  Lovely blooms.  Lush life.  Scented breezes.  Busy creatures. 

I do believe this classroom called Spring is my favorite.  I needn't try very hard or look too far to find evidence of God's sovereignty, beauty & amazing grace. 

Neither man nor chance thought up all this syncopated beauty.


But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds of the air, and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish of the sea inform you. 
Which of all these does not know that the
hand of the LORD has done this? 
~ Job 12:7-9

11 comments:

Maryann said...

Loved your quote by Anne Bradstreet, so true! Our daffodils are blooming with the promise of spring, although the weather sure doesn't feel like it...all in due time though and will be appreciated all the more

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a lovely way to start out my evening with my visit here. The pictures and the words remind me that it is almost here. But, like you I have not put away my socks and sweaters, especially since today's snowstorm.

I told you before, but I consider you a mighty gifted writer!

Skoots1moM said...

such beautiful pics and references...cold and dreary here today with 25-mph winds, brrrr!

RCUBEs said...

I echo your observation with the cherry trees, having one in our side yard. I adore its pinkish flowers. But bummed out whenever the occasional gusty winds try to knock them down at the same time. I love Spring despite my allergy being bothered. Somethin' so magical that always make me appreciate how much details God put into each of His creature...Much more with humanity. Happy Spring and may the season bring you lots of surprises popping here and there...from Him!

Denise said...

Really enjoy your writing.

Cheryl Barker said...

Love the photos! Flowers aren't doing much here yet, but the birds are busy, busy. I love spring, too! :)

Debbie said...

I love the way you have written about all of this! Oh yes, spring is coming, and I am loving it!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Loved your post and fantastic pictures.....

Have a Happy Easter
teresa

Nancy said...

I am loving that you are sharing your words and pictures of spring....I think we are all yearning for the flowers and the bird singing...

I hope your Easter is blessed beyond measure.....

Rebecca said...

Joyous Easter to you, Kathleen! Sounds like you're getting a head start on springtime. I'm still waiting :) I KNOW it will come.

Nel said...

Beautiful pictures! We were in Arkansas last week and one day it was 74 degrees then as we came home we hit snow and it snowed off and on for 3 days. You just never know! So glad you have returned! I have missed your writing! Hope you have a blessed Easter!
until next time...nel