Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Forward Momentum



There's a lot to think about and even more to do before putting a wrap to 2012.   While I relish the ramping up of all things Christmas, I'm not a huge fan of the ramping down, primarily because there's a bushel of bling to dismantle.  In its wake is an even larger bushel of blah.

Make no mistake, though:  I have no intention of entering 2013 with the blahs. 

I ran across the following piece in Forbes Magazine.  It might as well have been lifted from the pages of Scripture, so succint & wise is its content ~ which is why I'm sharing it here.  Practical wisdom is always a rare commodity.

5 Simple Things To Do Before The Year Ends
  1. Stop it! Schedule some time to look back on 2012 and ask yourself: What did I do that I shouldn’t do next year? Most of the time you’re better off thinking about things you should stop doing, rather than trying to add new habits into your routine. For example, is checking your email inbox the first thing you do in the morning instead of doing something far more productive? Then “not checking email until 11 a.m.” would be a great goal. In other words, stop doing things that are slowing you down rather than trying to do new things to speed things up. To improve, you have to release the e-brake first!
  2. Stick to one resolution at a time. Don’t cave in to the urge to create a laundry list of things you want to improve about yourself, your business or your life. Stick to one resolution at a time; that’s it. Then, review where you’re at every 30 days. If after 30 days or more you’ve stuck to your guns consistently and are on your way to achieving your resolution, feel free to try to stop or add another habit. But never make more than one resolution concurrently. Not even on New Year’s Eve!
  3. Think small. Resolutions often fail because they’re not broken down into small enough steps. As an example, how are you going to run your first marathon if you don’t first set a goal of running your first mile? Avoid making this mistake by breaking down each of your new goals into as many small goals as possible. Ideally, you should have daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly goals, which can keep you on track and will allow you to consistently assess your progress. Don’t just set an annual goal and keep your fingers crossed that you’ll somehow achieve it.
  4. End with the beginning in mind. If you’re not already ending each day and week by planning out the next one, this is a change you can immediately make that will have a huge impact on your productivity and peace of mind. By ending your day with the planning of the next, you’ll prevent your mind from racing at night, allowing your brain to adequately prepare for what tomorrow holds. You’ll wake up the next day fresher and with a clearer sense of purpose, and will achieve far more than if you’d just awoken with a calendar that looked like a blank slate.
  5. Be grateful.  ... By focusing on things for which we’re grateful, we ... have made a habit of starting our days by focusing on the things that make us feel happy, alive and vibrant. This allows us to be more resilient, positive and productive throughout the day, and furthermore, creates a more enjoyable work environment. How is your team planning for a productive, healthy New Year?
The aspect or the article that captured my attention is #4:  End with the beginning in mind.  I'm not at all inclined toward New Year's resolutions, but I wholeheartedly subscribe to the business discipline of annual Inventory initiatives.  Taking stock is good for the bottom line AND for the soul.

With that, let me just say that I will probably vacate the blogosphere in 2013.  As much as I have enjoyed the venue and your sweet, swelling presence these past five years, it is (as you know) a time-consuming, sometimes tedious, often distracting mixed blessing.  Some days it feels like one un-ending effort at Senior High School Year-Book signing. 

Besides, I'm sensing the nearing of a new horizon and new directions; all of which I probably won't consider seriously unless & until I make way & room for them.

At least one more post remains as I sort, box/package & put a wrap to the endings.  Where oh where will I store all of it if not the heart?

New beginnings. Six days remain in the process of this year's ending as I consider them ... 

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well, if/when you leave blogland, it will be a sad day for me. I have enjoyed your posts & coming to "know" you as I have via your blog.

These "tips" are great reminders as we enter a new year/experience new horizons/look for new directions.

I know God has already begun this "new" work in you and that you are "tuned" to Him, so won't beg you to stay....but selfishly will miss you very much.

♥Rebecca

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Those moment when you recognize that it is time to change or move on can be enlightening, however those of us that have gleaned much from your perspective will sorely miss your presence here!

Blessings for whatever lay ahead my friend!

R

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Even if you never sign my "yearbook" again, I'd still like to read your words. It makes me sad to think this chapter is closing, but I'm also delighted for all the memories we've shared together. I don't imagine this has been an easy decision for you. There's a part of me that believes I might not be far behind you in this regard.

Why does the "letting go" have to be so very hard?

peace~elaine

Saleslady371 said...

I like these tips because they're practical and full of common sense! I don't like the part that you are discontinuing your blog though. I enjoy my visits and your perspective on life. Your goal started here for the grand kids, but now you live in close proximity so you can share your life story in person! Much better for them, but not for us!!!! I really treasure you, Kathleen. Our friendship is greater than blogging and that won't stop!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I am sad! I feel like I am saying "goodbye" to a dear friend, a friend who I learn so much from, a friend who challenges me, who inspires me, and who adds joy to my day whenever I visit her blog. I understand your conviction, but I am still sad. You have touched my life in an extra special way.

Peggy said...

Thanks for sharing these practical ideas. I will miss your posts but what a joy to have new avenues to pursue. I hope you have a wonderful and God-blessed 2013!

Maryann said...

These are great tips, especially #1, that one seems to be an ongoing process for me as life continues to change. You will be missed when you stop blogging I have enjoyed my visits. Wishing you a blessed 2013

Denise said...

Wonderful tips.

Beth E. said...

Well, I definitely understand your decision regarding blogging. For me, it became all-consuming of my time. I will miss your words of wisdom, though...you will need to set up a list of vocabulary words for me on FB, though, so I can continue to learn those fancy words you use! ;-)

Much love...

Patrina's Pencil said...

I liked # 5.... being grateful..

I've already read your final post... ill post my comments concerning your goodbye there. You will be missed...

you said it completely...
"it is (as you know) a time-consuming, sometimes tedious, often distracting mixed blessing. Some days it feels like one un-ending effort at Senior High School Year-Book signing."

That is why I update once a month or less these days... but i know you're all just a click away..

Blessings to you in the new beginnings...

Patrina <")>><