Sunday, December 23, 2012

Be Born In Me (& Update)

Yesterday I spent the better part of my day at the hospital's Critical Care unit.  A young family known, but not directly related to me are sitting vigil by their 18 year old son's side. 

Due to complications with the pregnancy some 19 years ago, Drew was born with myriad disabilities.  Blind & deaf, mentally challenged ... he's lived in a world that is, largely, of his own design.  His mother (who's photo you'll find adjacent to the word devotion in any dictionary) has scrapped & fought for him all his life, making certain he's been given the benefit of an education & nurture in a culture that finds him to be an oddity.  He is a treasure in, and to their family.  Big brother Dillon, 20, considers him to be a hero.      

Last Friday Drew had one of many Grand Mal seizures; this one while bathing.  Typically he's allowed to bath alone for 5 - 8 minutes at a time.  On Friday, that duration combined with the seizure caused him to drown in his own vomit & bath water.  Upon discovery, CPR was started at once and paramedics summoned.  He was resuscitated, but prospects looked grim.

The vigil began.

While I was there with Drew's parents, Craig & Nancy (his father is my daughter-in-law's cousin), the Neurosurgeon came by.  She - the lady doctor - read & pondered, answered questions; answered more questions, and then summoned a deep breath to give Drew's parents a medical opinion no parent wants to hear:  Drew is probably already brain dead, but I won't know with certainty until we can remove him from all meds and then perform an indepth physical & EEG."  That process of removal & exams will begin today or tomorrow.

I wanted to leave the room in the worst way, though I had been tucked back into a corner and would have to interrupt the doctor/parent discussion underway in order to escape.  Instead, I prayed while floods of tears bathed my face and neck.  I listened to the mournful wails of a bereft mother, all the while looking to the Lord for His comfort for them, for the doctor (who had streaming tears of her own) and for myself:  "You know, Father don't You, the unique depths of pain at the dying of a child?" 

Church this morning was profoundly powerful as Pastor Art wove the Christmas story from the soil of its early telling & promise in Genesis, through the life of Abraham & Israel, to the advent of Kings and the hope of Prophets ... right down to the silent night of holy birth of the longed-for Messiah King:  God With Us.  He ended his message with this amazing song & video.
 



I hadn't planned to have such a burdensome Christmas post, but somehow it seems more scrumptious fare than anything fanciful I might have quickly crafted. 

Today I am again reminded in the most powerful, personal way of the one, sure, certain hope for all mankind for all of time, and for those - like Craig & Nancy - who suffer here and now:  Immanuel. 


Blessings & Good News
this Christmas season and always.









UPDATE:  At 4:00pm Christmas Day (yesterday), Drew's life-support was removed.  At 4:30pm, he moved from being disabled & comatose, to dancing on streets that are golden: fully alive & made whole. 

God's myriad comforts upon all who grieve today.

11 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

So many suffer. I'm so sorry to read about this young man and the situation his parents are going through right now. As I was having my quiet time this morning, the verses that spoke to my heart were in Psalm 147:2-6. He heals the brokenhearted and binds their wounds. How much this is needed!

What a beautiful song and video. Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you have found a good church and pastor in your new home Kathleen.

Merry Christmas to you my friend.

Love you,
Debbie

Rebecca said...

I think the "tone" of your post is more in keeping with the "tone" of that first Christmas in many respects. There WAS pain in the birthing. There was no glamor in the stable/cave. I think the awe & joy were limited to the field outside Bethlehem...not sure the FULLNESS of joy was wide-spread until after the resurrection and ascension of our Lord. (Just thinking here; not sure....)

My prayer has been lifted to Him for this precious family.

Sonja said...

I hardly have words.Oh how I pray for this precious family. I would have been in the corner with you, crying and praying.

And this song, I have heard it and loved it, but with the video it is so gripping. I just had Joe come down and we viewed it together, both with tears. This just MAKES Christmas for me. It does for all of us... this is our hope, the same hope Mary had,

Merry Christmas Kathleen, to you and your precious family. Thank you for sharing this.

Love,
Sonja

Renee Regnier said...

This post was so meaningful! I have shared it on google! Everyone should read it! Thank you!

Debbie said...

Oh my heart aches for this family at this time. My prayers are with them all. the video was just soo moving!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Denise said...

I will be praying.

RCUBEs said...

May His love strengthen this family and may you also have a blessed Christmas. This is the meaning of Christmas. For us to share His gift of love and compassion and I'm glad you shared that story with us knowing that in the midst, the Lord is there and that nothing, truly nothing can separate those who love Him from His love.

Betty said...

Katherine...I will pray for the family. My step Grandson is exactly the same way due to seisures in the womb. He can do nothing on his own. His mother and dad too has fought so hard to keep him alive and active as they can. His mind is pretty sharp and he can communicate with his eyebrow that they paste a dot to and moved over the computer screen he talks.

Your post is not a downcast post for God will usher this young man to the glories of heaven where he will someday meet my grandson. I am reminded even now though there is some joy in every Christmas but there is also so much pain, here on this earth they go together. Thank you for sharing this post katherine...pain is part of our journey. Thank you also for stopping by my site. Merry Christmas

NanaNor's said...

Dear Kathleen, I'm so sorry for this trial your close friends are going through, Praising God that when Drew goes home, he will be completely whole and well. Asking for Peace that continues to flood their hearts and minds.
Hugs, Noreen

Just a little something from Judy said...

Some posts bring tears and when they do, I feel them flowing down my face. This post did just that. I know I would have quietly been in the corner with you and I know the tears would have been there. Oh the deep sadness this dear family must feel, and yet the hope for the day we all know is coming, when we watch dear ones dance on the streets of gold.

Patrina's Pencil said...

Thank you for sharing this.. for your open heart...and vulnerable spirit.. I was deeply moved by this. thank you for your presence in that hospital room. For your presence with the family...

blessings
patrina <")>><