Friday, November 2, 2012

Through the Pinholes

" ... if I obey Jesus Christ in the seemingly random
circumstances of life, they become pinholes through
which I see the face of God."
 


 
"Whoever can be trusted with very little
can also be trusted with much,
and whoever is dishonest with very little
will also be dishonest with much."
~ Luke 16:10
 
Obedience.  How I love the concept when it comes to training children or dogs.  It's not so favorable when I need a dose of it in my own life.
 
What I know is this:  If I'm to have the contentment in life God alone offers, it is inextricably linked to my obedience.  It is one tangle I wish not to be undone, yet I am known to sit for hours picking at its threads in an attempt to unravel it.
 
Obedience.  It is not for the faint of heart.  It is not for the situational saint.  It is not for the one cozied up to the world and the world's ways.  It is knit together with threads of love, of righteousness, of sacrifice, of trust, of holiness.  It is a condition, and all that follows it are conditional, not given.  In other words, certain things - like freedom - cannot be claimed until the condition of obedience has been embraced.
 
Rebellion is the antithesis of obedience; and oh how the rebellious do gag on such things as these.  I know.  Been there; done that!  It's to make it up as you go, and to eventually fall prey to one's own schemes.     
 
Like the Lord Himself, obedience is often misunderstood.  As with the former, the latter is love's guarantee. 
 
As a wise leader once told me:  Lean forward & listen up ...
  
 
As Jesus was saying these things,
a woman in the crowd called out,
“Blessed is the mother who gave
you birth and nursed you.”
He replied, “Blessed rather are those
who hear the word of God and obey it.”
~ Luke 11:27-28 
 

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said,
If you hold to my teaching,
you are really my disciples.
Then you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free.”
~ John 8:31-32

 
 
Jesus replied,
Anyone who loves me will
obey my teaching.
My Father will love them, and we will come
to them and make our home with them.
Anyone who does not love me
will not obey my teaching." 
~ John 14:23-24
 
 
 
 
How like God to connect a needful component like obedience to love.  He never crafts tedious religiosity or servile labor when it comes to knowing & obeying Him.  It's why the knot cannot be undone, and why the pinholes always reveal His face.
 
It's also why faithfulness in little things turn pinholes into gaping chasms. One day we will - I will - see Him as He is.
 

6 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome my friend.

myletterstoemily said...

we don't talk much about obedience anymore,
but you just reminded us all: trust and obey

manthano said...

Again, you have hit where we as the
"Church" are so sadly lacking.

Thanks.

Sonja said...

Obedience, it all begins there, in the heart choices we make one at a time. Obedience is not random, it's deliberate and the pinholes of obedience become who we are.

Love this!

elaineolsen@live.com said...

"A long obedience in the same direction . . . "

Out of love for God, I keep to it, even as I ask others to do the same. I like the think my kids obey and yield to my training for the same reason.

Love. How can I not give more?

peace~elaine

Renee Regnier said...

This is such an important topic. Thank you! I would only add one thing. You've pointed out that God "never crafts tedious religiosity or servile labor when it comes to knowing & obeying Him." I'm not sure exactly how you mean this, but sometimes obedience takes our sheer determination to carry it out and entails much servile labor. An example would be caring for an elderly parent who thwarts your efforts. This duty of love can become very laborious and difficult. Perhaps you could explain a little more. You did speak to my heart today.