Saturday, October 20, 2012

When Prophets Bleat

There are so many voices today, even among believers.  The proverbial spin does not rest with the media alone, but far too often sometimes makes its way to the lips of spokespeople with a penchant for proclaiming "thus sayeth the Lord" as though the oracles of God. (Bear in mind, it may sound more like "The Lord told me _______; and/or told me to tell you __________.") 

I mean no disrespect to honest-to-God prophets.  I just don't know any in order to make my apologies.  Even so, I believe the gift of prophecy is alive and well.
    

The word of the Lord came to me:
“Son of man, prophesy against the prophets
of Israel who are now prophesying.
Say to those who prophesy out of their
own imagination:
‘Hear the word of the Lord!
This is what the Sovereign Lord says:
Woe to the foolish prophets who follow
their own spirit and have seen nothing! 
Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals
among ruins. You have not gone up to the
breaches in the wall to repair it for
the people of Israel so that it will stand firm
in the battle on the day of the Lord. 
Their visions are false and their
divinations a lie.
Even though the Lord has not sent them,
they say, “The Lord declares,”
and expect him to fulfill their words. 
Have you not seen false visions and
uttered lying divinations when you say,
“The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken?
“‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord
says: Because of your false words and lying visions,
I am against you, declares the Sovereign Lord
 ~ Ezekiel 13:1-8
 
How much heartache & folly could be avoided were the "prophets" in our midst be held to God's standard for wearing that title?  They're either spot on, or they're not.  And if they're not, then how about we dethrone them?  It needn't be a showy display with tar & feathers, or a lynching; but a turning away of the ear; a removal of the laurel wreath we've placed on them.  It can be done with great grace.

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit,
but test the spirits to see whether they
are from God, because many false prophets
have gone out into the world. 
~1 John 4:1
 
I realize some among these are mis-guided.  They believe they're doing & saying what they truly thought/think is God's proclamation.  But oh, what a mess they often conjure.  That's the trouble with false prophets: the deception actually begins in/with them.   They are, as I said, misguided or self-deluded at best; deliberate deceivers at worst.  It's either truth they convey; or it isn't.  
 
Come to think of it, we've been warned.  Under the heading of Apostasy, comes the sub-category of Great/Swelling Words.  If spin is anything, it's all of that.  Bleating becomes a growl. 
 
“Beware of false prophets,
who come to you in sheep’s clothing,
but inwardly they are ravenous wolves."
~ Matthew 7:15
 
 

 

11 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, well said my friend.

skoots1mom said...

i woke this morning reverberating a thought of today's society..."his perception is his truth"...truth is truth, we must not call it anything else.

myletterstoemily said...

what an eerie picture to underscore your
point. i used to be addicted to prophecies
and even prophets but now, i'm more
addicted to His word written.

but, oh how i love a spot on prophesy!

Rebecca said...

Such a timely warming - actually, I guess EVERY generation needs to be re-warned...and frequently, too!

manthano said...

Is it possible we are too lazy spiritually
to even "test the spirits"?

Great post and as usual - right on.

Thanks.

Sonja said...

Bleating prophets... what a picture! :) I've seen and heard my share of them too. No wonder we are told to be ' as wise as serpents and harmless as doves'. We HAVE to be these days.

Good words my friend.

Maryann said...

I think this is a real problem in this day, we must know truth or we will be deceived, and of course the way we learn truth is through his word. Timely post

elaineolsen@live.com said...

Great pic!

I'm thinking we should turn away, put some distance between untruth and truth. Sometimes it's obvious; sometimes more veiled

I regularly pray for a discerning heart; God has never been reluctant to grant my petition.

Keep in the word, sister. This is where truth lives!!!

peace~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

In my fifty some years, I have never known a time in christendom, where discernment was more important than now. I pray for discernment daily for me and for all of those who claim the name of Jesus Christ. Keep sharing my friend.

Cheryl Barker said...

Kathleen, this is an important reminder for those of us in the body of Christ. And what a perfect picture to illustrate it!

Saleslady371 said...

I'm so very grateful for God's confirmation to the things told to us! He provides the checks & balances if we slow down and wait on Him! It is so easy to misinterpret words and dreams, especially when we want something real bad!