Sunday, October 7, 2012

Veneer by Any Other Name is Still Veneer

There's nothing quite like solid wood when it comes to furniture.  For a good many years I couldn't afford anything so luxurious as oak, mahogany, or maple  - - much less Brazilian walnut (known to be one of, if not THE hardest of woods).  I settled for the less costly, which is to say my furnishings were largely of the veneer variety.  Some remain so.

I'm wondering if veneers are true of people, too?  Of me?



What, exactly, is a veneer?  To be sure, we could subscribe to Woodshop Wisdom for all things crafty (think PBS & Tooltime); or we could visit Merriam for something far less so.  I opt for the latter.
 
1: a thin sheet of a material: as a: a layer of wood of superior value or excellent grain to be glued to an inferior wood b: any of the thin layers bonded together to form plywood  c: a plastic or porcelain coating bonded to the surface of a cosmetically imperfect tooth
2: a protective or ornamental facing (as of brick or stone)
3: a superficial or deceptively attractive appearance, display, or effect 
 
At its best, a veneer is a facade.
 
I think I've answered my own question.
 
At it pertains to who I am (or claim to be), the acid test of whether or not I'm veneering is to put me in a boiling cauldron or smack me upside of the head.  My reaction alone will tell you much about the stuff just beneath my surface.  I dare say you might well find some straw there. 
 
... let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance
the race marked out for us, 
fixing our eyes on Jesus,
the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
~ Hebrews 12:1-2
 
Regardless of what I am, or am not today ... my heart's desire is to be of the Brazilian walnut sort - - solid, immovable, impenetrable, sturdy and costly - - at my core.  Not to mention fireproof.
 
 
 
For no one can lay any foundation other than
the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver,
costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 
their work will be shown for what it is,
because the Day will bring it to light.
It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will
test the quality of each person’s work.
If what has been built survives,
the builder will receive a reward.
If it is burned up,
the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—
even though only as one escaping through the flames. 
~ 1 Corinthians 3:11-15
 

9 comments:

Denise said...

Such a thought provoking post my friend.

Rebecca said...

Interestingly, the veneer is the valuable part of the furniture....the more superior or excellent wood... My husband right now is finishing a piece of furniture that has an amazing piece of veneer on its top. It is gorgeous.

I DO get the gist of your post, though and so agree about wanting to be 100% the "real thing".

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Amen...as I find the Lord during up the purifying fires I want to be like Him

Karen Lange said...

What wonderful food for thought. Will be pondering along these lines this week. :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Amazing how the Father works in our hearts in tandem. Oh, and my dad just sent me his weekly writing about a lesson from a 5th grade teacher on being your authentic self.

I've been thinking about this all weekend; perhaps I'll post something tomorrow.

Brazilian walnut . . . me too!

peace~elaine

Terri Tiffany said...

I want to be the real thing and share with others what God has done in my life...but that isn't always easy. Thanks for a great post.

Patrina's Pencil said...

"At its best, a veneer is a facade."... contemplative post. I have been been pursuing the lost art of 'human connectedness' these past few weeks. I sense that I'm not alone in this pursuit.

thanks for sharing this piece of wisdom. You shine like Walnut...

patrina <")>><

Just a little something from Judy said...

My heart's desire is also to be of the Brazilian Walnut type wood, but it is a lifetime process, and I am seeing that more and more in me. Somehow the veneer type wood shows its self in me often. Quite thought provoking, and humbling. Fortunately, veneer can serve some simple purposes.

Cheryl Barker said...

I want to be Brazilian Walnut, too, Kathleen. Need to work on some of my initial reactions to the boiling cauldron or being smacked up the side of the head, though! :)