Sunday, October 28, 2012

From Sea to Not-So Shining Sea


When I tucked myself in last night, it was with thoughts of the power & potential of the storm, Sandy, anticipated to hit our eastern shore.  Warnings & advisories were being called out on nearly every media outlet the entire day yesterday.  News footage demonstrated the efforts of people bracing for the worst.

In the middle of the night I awoke - a common occurrence with my 64 year old, arthritic frame.  I got up to grab an Ibuprofen but, as I clamored about the kitchen I noticed my computer screen with a rather large & ominous announcement about a significant earthquake just north of us in British Columbia.  Alongside the headline were warnings & advisories to Hawaii, Oregon & California to prepare for a potential storm surge at the least, a tsumani at worst.  Evacuations were already beginning in order to move well over 100,000 on Oahu's shoreline to higher ground.

Returning to the warmth & safety of my resting place, I couldn't help but see a poignancy in all of this. 

“They sow the wind
and reap the whirlwind.
~ Hosea 8:7

I'm not one to quickly attribute happenings in nature & elsewhere to God's direct intervention.  Afterall, we live upon a globe affected by currents, gravity & a host of converging weather patterns.   Tectonic plates tilt & shift.  It is also a globe affected by man's fall.

Yet in the quiet of my nearly slumbering heart came the thought that men play fast & loose with all things God-related.  Many mock.  Many more deny.  Surely there is a price to such folly - - a price long ago foretold.

I cannot listen to the wind this mornng but to consider how great & precious are the promises God makes to His own.  How comforting His word.  How great is His glory & wonder!  

 



I love to stand at ocean shore
And feel the thundering breakers roar,
To walk through golden fields of grain
With endless bloom horizons fray

I believe
I believe
I believe
 

P.S.  My prayers for all of you residing in the path of these natural disasters.  God's protection & peace upon you.

7 comments:

skoots1mom said...

prayers for those in the path...
God's wrath comes in many ways...some we understand, many we don't.
heard a preaching this morning on that very thing...Christ took the fifth cup/God wrath cup for us...his blood for you and me.
May He comfort you all this week and calm your arthritis ;)

Rebecca said...

On Christ the Solid Rock I stand...all other ground IS sinking sand...

elaineolsen@live.com said...

I weep tonight for many reasons, but when I hear the roll of waters, my heart is reminded of the awesomeness of my God, and I am comforted. I'm reminded of a video post I did a few years ago; I think I'll go listen in for a few moments . . .

Have a good week, Sassy. You're never far from my heart.

~elaine

Deborah Ann said...

So much chaos all around us, but thankfully the solid rock to stand through it all. God bless you!

Terri Tiffany said...

Amen! Thank you for your prayers--we only got one blink of no power:)

Denise said...

Praise God for being our solid rock.

Beth E. said...

Thank you for those prayers. Our area escaped the massive snowstorms, but areas all around us were not as fortunate. My aunt's graveside service has been postponed, due to over a foot of snow in that area.

If you get a chance, stop by my blog. I posted a tribute to her.

Hugs...