Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A View from the Fringe


I could tell from the look on his face that he thought me to be a bloomin' idiot mis-guided & mis-informed.  The first words out of his seasoned 17 year old mouth were:  You can't actually believe that, Grandma?!!

From the time he was but a wee lad, he loved all things scientific.  From rocks to rain clouds; from dinosaurs to constellations, his little nose was often pressed into a book, just like his father's (my oldest son) had been many years before him.  Geology, Astronomy and Paleontology gripped him like a Harry Potter novel does to some.  And now that he's headed onto college (a year ahead of most), he's hoping to walk a path that includes a career in Mechanical Engineering.  No surprise. 

But that day, the day of our exchange his worldview took a spin on its proverbial axis.  The young man was quite unprepared for his own grandmother to push against conventional wisdom.  At once I had entered the realm of the unconventional - - at least his eyes.

I didn't much care for the plummet from my sassy grandmothering pedestal, where only moments before I'd been some sort of heroine in the 17 year saga of his life.  No doubt it won't be the last such tumble, but it was definitely the first.  No matter, it was a great object lesson in how to agree to disagree.  

What sparked this clash of ideologies? 

On one side of the debate was my precocious and scientifically studious grandson.  On the other side sat me - - not quite so precocious but similarly studious.  The subject?  Creation versus Evolution. 

Mind you, I hold no contempt for those that subscribe to Evolutionary Theory.  As my grandson advised me, it is THE foremost & foregone conclusion of MOST of the greatest scientific minds in recent history as he shoved me out onto the fringe alongside all other illiterates uneducated folk. 

Even so, I held my own, reminding him that not ALL scientists concurred.  There were, and are plenty that subscribe to the creation narrative.

God bless him, though:  he was respectful in his apoplexy.

For ask now of the days
that are past, which were
before thee, since the day that God
created man upon the earth, and ask
from the one side of heaven unto
the other, whether there hath been
any such thing as this great thing is,
or hath been heard like it?
~ Deuteronomy 4:32

It was not the first, nor will it be the last of conversations about why I subscribe to the Creation/Young Earth worldview.  I have yet to read an article, listen to a debate or consider facts that convince me that God's word is suspect or vague on the subject, or that Evolutionary Theory is uncontrovertible fact.  I find it rather easy to stand alongside the ancients, the prophets, and even Jesus Himself in testifying to Eden's very real locale, the people/progenators known as Adam & Eve, the fact of Babel, and other epochs describing origens that are recounted by the Bible's authors themselves.

At the end of the day I have concluded that a plethora of information, fact, rhetoric and conclusions exists on both sides of the spectrum - - much as there is in the debates between belief/unbelief in God, conservative/liberal politics, etc.   Choices about who & what to believe run the gamut. 

As I said at the beginning, I have no quarrel with those that subscribe to Evolutionary Theory, said grandson included.  I've more-or-less resigned myself to the fact that, where this subject is concerned, I'm a carrier of the dis-ease known as apoplexy.  That, and that living on the fringe is not so bad as one might think.    

 
Thus saith God the LORD,
he that created the heavens,
and stretched them out;
he that spread forth
the earth, and that which cometh out of it;
he that giveth breath unto the
people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein
~ Isaiah 42:5
 
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and
honour and power: for thou hast created all things,
and for thy pleasure they
are adn were created.
~ Revelation 4:11

 



Excellent Resources Related to Creation Science:

Creation Ministries International
Answers in Genesis
The Institute for Creation Research
Reasons to Believe





11 comments:

Denise said...

Blessings to you.

Rebecca said...

It's always good to keep our "thinking caps" on and keep the communication channels open :)

NanaNor's said...

Hi, What a challenging debate to be sure. I always like to gently remind folks that Darwin denied evolution before his death, after he became a christian. What a wonderful relationship you have with your grandson, to have such an open talk.
Blessings to you today!
Hugs, Noreen

Debbie said...

Oh I love that you could have such a talk with your grandson and have it not divide you in any way.

My thoughts on it are simple. I think it takes more faith to believe in evolution than creation. And at the end of the day you either believe the Bible or you don't. I love that scripture in Revelations that you mention. We used to sing a song that used it. Haven't sung it in years, and now it is in my head.

Have a good day!

Cheryl Barker said...

I'm with you, Kathleen. God -- the Creator and Sustainer of it all!

Diana Ferguson said...

So glad I hopped over this morning. Enjoyed the post. Blessings to you, Kathleen!

Happy Halloween, too.

RCUBEs said...

And that's how we are as humans...Always wanting to see evidences..."But we believe by faith" and though we can't see God, there are just too many wonderful things for a finite mind. I think it is good to have conversations like that... It could be a way of him seeing things in another light...By Spirit and Truth...Blessings to you Sassy...

Beth E. said...

Good for you, Sassy...even though he may not agree (for now, anyway), those spiritual seeds have been planted. Praying for a bountiful harvest in his young life! :-)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

The ladies in my small group often finds ourselves in deep discussion on this very thing. Three of us have son'e that are very bright and intelligent young men. The scientific leaning that require empirical evidence and provable facts seem to be such HUGE stumbling blocks. We just continue to stay persistent in our prayers in the knowledge that God is much bigger than any need for scientific proof.

He will in his perfect timing make all thing right!

As always I love your perspective!

Blessings
R

Debbie Petras said...

I can so identify with you Kathleen! There's a similar argument (agree to disagree) in my own household. But it helps to know why you believe what you believe. You are a thinker and yet you still believe. I'm with you and I hope you will continue to be sassy. We continue to love even those who disagree.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

elaineolsen@live.com said...

As I told a group of women today, rather reminded them, we are the carriers of an extraordinary kingdom. We are kingdom dispensers of kingdom truth, carried carefully around in our fragile, clay jars. Every now and again, the jar breaks, cracks, splits open. Rather than it being the end of us, it becomes the portal for God's kingdom in us to get out . . . to be released. No doubt your continuing, tenacious grip on truth will shine forth as golden treasure to those who sit beneath your influence.

You carry the kingdom well, Sassy. Never underestimate the words you speak, the faith you live, the kingdom seeds you're planting in this season.

The harvest will come . . . is coming.

peace~elaine