Thursday, September 6, 2012

Time Travel

Shortly, and for the better part of the next month, I will be far, far away on yet another of our many adventures. 

Planes, trains & automobiles will take us to the magical lands of our ancestral homes.  Armed with names, locations & a good deal of information - - some of it dating back to the 600s - - I will walk the highways, byways, moors & mulls of those that came long before me. 

We begin in the city of Munich.  I have a smattering of heritage in Germany, though mostly our visit there will consist of work for hubby.  While he attends to business, I'll make my way around the culture-rich city and the countryside that frames it. 






From Munich we'll embark on the serious vacation portion of our trek, taking a scenic train ride onto Austria.  There we will focus primarily on Vienna, not so much for the sake of ancestry, but because we've longed to see this city and more of the Bavarian Alps.  





When we bid farewell to Vienna, it will be with our sights set on Scotland.  We fly into London, where we'll grab yet another train for the scenic-rich journey north to Edinburgh.  Using Edinburgh as home base, we'll tour a number of regions in Scotland, focusing mostly on the Western shore & the Highlands.











Eventually we'll reach our final destinantion:  Ireland.  We've nixed our hotel-staying & opted instead to lease a flat (through VRBO/Vacation Rental by Owner) on the bay just outside the city proper.  We'll enjoy both city culture and country charm.  I'm not so sure about the Pub Crawls, but I can assure you we'll be making our way across the entire country to discover the ancestral headwaters of clans McFadden, O'Breslin, Kelly, O'Flanagan, O'Neal, McDonnell & Campbell (to name a few). 
 




I have often wondered why this particular song, The Mull of Kintyre, grips me so.  Having spent the better part of ten years researching my ancestry, I now understand it better.  My kin  - or many of them - once lived in Kintyre (Scotland), if not upon the Mull itself.





Sweep through the heather like deer in the glen
Carry me back to the days I knew then.
Nights when we sang like a heavenly choir
Of the life and the time of the mull of kintyre.
 
 
 
 
I hope to visit you before I actually depart. But, should I miss you, know that I'll make up for it upon my return.

8 comments:

RCUBEs said...

How exciting! And I pray you will discover many surprises along the way! Have a safe travel and God bless and protect you.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Oh what a trip you've planned. I've never been to Europe and hope someday to get to Ireland, the home of all my grandparents. I'm with you about the pubs but I hear you can make some wonderful friend there too. Have a wonderful trip and take lots of photos to share with us.
Hugs, Noreen

Denise said...

Sounds truly awesome.

Sonja said...

Oh what a trip!! I can just picture each place. I know what my trip to Norway meant to me in terms of just walking around my mother's land. This is going to be special!

Remember when you are in Germany and looking at the old palaces that I am 'almost a princess' of Gossweinstein! :)

I'll be praying for you and thinking of you as you me lassy! I know you won't waste a minute of it.

Hugs!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh what a dream trip...have the best of times..enjoy, enjoy

Our son and daughter-in-law will be traveling to Berlin in November, our son has always visited there...maybe one day I will make the journey

Oh I can't wait to enjoy your trip through your eyes

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Wow... here you go again! How long will you be gone? Make sure you know your way home.

~elaine

Beth E. said...

This sounds great! My great-great grandparents were from Dungarvin, Ireland. One of these days, I hope to visit there.

I know you will have a wonderful time. Please take lots of pictures to share with us!

Hugs...

Just a little something from Judy said...

I am most excited for you! I know you have looked forward to this trip for so long. I will be praying for unexpected joys and blessings for you, and safety as you travel. I pray that the trip far exceeds your expectations, and I look forward to what you may share with us when you return. It sounds like such a fun adventure to me.