Thursday, September 27, 2012

From Munich to Vienna - Days 1 to 10

"It's the worst storm in 35 years!"  

That's just one small snippet of the adventures that have hallmarked our European sojourn.  

We began our walkabout (literally) in Munich, Germany - - a place & latitude very much like Washington State.  Hubby had business demands the first week of our trip, so mostly I entertained myself  (more about that another day) during that time.  We logged an average of eight miles a day on foot, and many more via rail.  

 A favorite memory - Hubby telling me:  
"I think we go left here."
 
By day #3 my feet were complaining, so I put away the shoes I'd packed and bought a pair of Hush Puppies that have been a mainstay since.  

Throughout these early days of our trip, Fall was just beginning to taunt us, with a nip in the air and a hint of color to foliages. 

 A favorite restaurant - the Augustiner/Old Town

A favorite walk - The Englisher Garten

The next leg of our journey took us by train from Munich across the Bavarian countryside enroute to Vienna, Austria.  The hills are truly alive with the sound of music there; and the imagination runs wild with visions of other eras.  Time stops altogether just as you arrive in Salzburg.

A favorite scene - the Bavarian countryside

Arriving in Vienna, we began vacationing in earnest.  Hubby put away his computer (or, rather, he loaned it to me), and we settled into our hotel on the Danube River.  

What an amazing, historically rich city is Vienna.  With so little time we missed far too many sights, but we absorbed the best of it. 

   A favorite sight - flocks of swans on the Danube River

An amazing artifact - Belvedere Castle

From Vienna we prepared to make our way to Scotland via London.  More about that to come ...



10 comments:

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Drinking in the experience vicariously.....what a wonderful trip!

Blessings
R

Sonja said...

I've been thinking of you over there and these pictures are a reminder of the beauty of that part of the world.

I tried to leave a comment twice on your last blog, but it never went through. Your title of 'gnostic gnonsense' really said it all anyway. :)

Thinking of you right now, and praying for each day to be filled with special delights. It's the trip of a lifetime!

Hugs!

Rebecca said...

I KNOW you are making the most of your hours and days! What natural beauty - and oh, that restaurant looks absolutely charming....

skoots1mom said...

oh, i dream of traveling there one day!
enjoy!

Maryann said...

Beautiful photos, what a wonderful opportunity

Denise said...

Very awesome.

Saleslady371 said...

Beautiful scenery! I can imagine how much it was to absorb all this during your stay. So grateful for your sharing this beauty with us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I can just see myself snuggling into that Bavarian community! Love the new hair, Sassy. Sassy, indeed!!!

peace~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

I have been thinking of you so much lately, and I see for myself that you are having a most memorable trip. I like that walk with the Fall leaves, and would have loved taking a walk on that. You look so young on that beautiful picture.

Beth E. said...

Eight miles a day?! No wonder you had to wear hush puppies..to stop your dogs from barking! ;-) Breathtakingly beautiful scenery, Sassy...worth every step you took!

Hugs...