Monday, September 10, 2012

Daringly Delicate

Words. What would life be without them, especially to a word junkie like me? 

I'm sure there have been ad nauseum studies on the subject, like the number of words we speak, read and/or hear each day. Suffice it to say: Words (or the intent behind them) generate stuff. 

The same holds true for the lack of them, for surely actions do speak volumes.  Unwords connote stuff too.

I think that's why I was so taken with a phrase I read in one of my daily devotionals. The devotee collected his thoughts with these words:
 
"... the most delicate shades of Christian love
are manifested (in sacrificial living) ... ".



Can't you just see it? Instead of hues vermillion or chartreuse, the sort of living described is best painted in pastels with words the shade of apricot, butter, mint.  

Such living - the type born of selflessness - is anything but garish or obtuse (think Rodney Dangerfield); nor does it need or beg notice.  No bullhorn is required.  A banner isn't necessary to herald one's entry.   

No, such a life is gentle, nuanced, exquisite (think Helen Keller).  It makes it's way quietly, circumspectly, without demand.  It doesn't draw attention, though it may be captivating if discovered.  It's the embodiment of Romans 12 or 1 Corinthians 13. 

Delicate shades of Christian love ...

If that isn't a word-picture I don't know what is.

 
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are,
as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good
and evil they become int he hands of one who
knows how to combine them.
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne 
 
Words which do not give the light of Christ
increase the darkness.
~ Mother Theresa
 
 
 
 
 
A good man brings good things out of the
good stored up in his heart,
and an evil man brings evil things out of the
evil stored up in his heart.
For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
~ Luke 6:45

4 comments:

Denise said...

Beautifully said my friend.

Diana Ferguson said...

Luke 6:45 says it straight and to the point, huh?! May my heart be storing up good.

Just a little something from Judy said...

You, my friend, share "delicate shades of love" with us, every time we visit your blog. I love how you shared this. I personally have found that "delicate shades of love" speak volumes to me, in the toil of daily life.

Debbie Petras said...

The words spoken have such power. They can build up or tear down. May we always remember that and use them wisely.

Blessings and love,
Debbie