Monday, August 13, 2012

Walking the Glen

Mentally, I've been traveling for several weeks now.  Between Rick Steves' videos & assorted websites & Travel Guides, I've virtually made my way to Germany, Austria, England, Scotland and Ireland.  Next month I'll do it all in real time.

I've been packing too ... again virtually.  Mostly I've been sticking Post-It-Notes all over my brain in order not to forget this or that.  In reality, those Post-Its are beginning to show up next to my suitcase.

Today I am grateful for the amazing gift we call imagination.  No other creature on the planet is so well-endowed (which sort of nixes all the theoretical stuff about amoeba-to-fish-to-lizards/birds-to-monkeys-to-man stuff). 

Imagining - envisioning - is the rare realm of mortals.  Long before something IS, it comes to life in our our mind's eye, and even our spirit.  It renders us capable of living in parallel universes such as the one I describe above.  I'm here in Washington State, but somehow I'm aboard a train on Germany's countryside, or walking the sands of Galway Bay.  Incredible!

It works in reverse, too.  How many of us don't visit a place or a person or an era no longer present, either delighting in or dreading it/them? 

I dare say that most bloggers, and certainly all authors understand how vital is imagination.  How else would we ever craft a sentence, much less an entire tome? 

Photographers & artists, too, use this endowment to see things.  Theirs is a craft which insists upon vision; which brings to life scenes that speak for themselves.  And songwriters.  Isn't it amazing how many assorted arrangements of notes & instrumentation over the eons have come together to delight (or assault) our ears?

Imagination - the blessing or curse of it depends on how we employ it.  Worry or wonder?  Half full or half empty?  Stuck or soaring?  Chained or empowered?  Outer or inner focused?  Dead or alive?

Just for today, I am delighted to find myself on a continent far, far way.  For some glorious reason, I am able to smell & hear it too.  Now THAT's imagination!


Glen Etive, Scotland

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
think about such things. 
Whatever you have learned or received
or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. 
  And the God of peace will be with you.
~ Philippians 4:8-9

6 comments:

Denise said...

Woo Hoo, I love your imagination.

Debbie said...

Oh yes, I know just how you feel...How I love to escape sometimes and imagine myself walking the streets of a completely different place (and sometimes even time ~ hey, it's my imagination) and how wonderful it is. What a gift the Lord gave us there. Love that verse!

Debbie Petras said...

It's so fun to use our imagination when we can. I think too many children don't use it enough as they always want to be entertained with videos. I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip. You are going to Ireland too, aren't you? I remember you are going to Scotland. I have a friend who actually ran for the Presidency of Ireland. He didn't win but it was exciting when he ran. The Prime Minister is really the one with all the power there.

Peggy said...

I've really been wanting to travel to Ireland for awhile now. For now, I'll travel vicariously through you. Please post on your trip so we can all imagine being there with you.

Sonja said...

Well good for you, what a great trip it will be. I love the imaginary one too... I also have that vivid imagination, and it does indeed work both ways! It's always so much better when my glass stays half full... :)

Saleslady371 said...

This is just THE PERFECT verse for this post!!!!! Love your imagination!