Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Coming Out - The Blogger

Five years and 802 posts ago I was arguing with no one in particular:  Why, oh why would I want to blog?

It was August of 2007 when Michael, my co-worker, insisted I at least give blogging a try.  He raved on-and-on about how easy it was.  And fun.  He assured me it was safe; that I need not fear cyber-stalkers or indentity theft.   

All of 28 years old, Michael was an avid-techno-social media savvy-curious-undaunted harbinger of all things related to contemporary communications. I suppose that's why he headed up Graphics & Communications.  Thus he had a bit of street cred on the subject.  I listened.

I was embarrassed to tell Michael I was clueless as to what "blog" even meant.  I had to look it up to get some sort of understanding - - my first cyber-related visit to Merriam (yet another relationship that spans 802 posts!).  There I learned it was a term first coined in 1997, and meant:  a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer.

So, on the advice of this younger-wonder, I began pondering ... a portent of the plentiful ponderings to follow.  The rest, as they say, is history.

How vain it is to sit down to write
when you have not stood up to live.
~ Henry David Thoreau

For many long weeks I posted away in secret, hoping-beyond-hope that no one would discover my clandestine craft.  Heaven forbid someone might actually read what I'd written!  It all felt so personal, so awkward, so diarylike - - as if I needed one of those itty-bitty books with a key in order to lock up the mundane musings of a mis-guided matron gems of my heart..   

Finally, on January 7 of 2008 someone discovered me: a fellow church member I'd confided in.  She would be not only the first, but also the only for many long months. 

Then, in March of 2008 I had a visit from Elaine @Peace for the Journey.  She would be my first official follower, telling me:

OK...after spending a few minutes reading some of
your amazing posts, here's my question...

What's a "sassy granny" and where can I get one?!

Seriously, you are a hoot and are leaving a wonderful legacy
for your children through your words of remembrance.

I'm new to your blog via Alicia Britt Chole's blog
(don't you think she's just about the best writer ever?). 
I'll be back again for more sass from granny!

From such tentative, obscure beginnings I have to say how utterly wrong about blogging was I initially.  Oh, it's been a love/hate relationship, no doubt.  But it's also been a blessing more rich than ever I could have imagined.  I met YOU here!


Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. 
~William Wordsworth


There are thousands of thoughts lying within
a man that he does not know till he takes
up the pen and writes.
~ William Makepeace Thackeray

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

So glad you took Michael's advice, Kathleen! (Sure wish I could remember how I found you -- maybe via Elaine????? I'm not sure.)

I continued to be enriched by the "thousands of thoughts lying within" my blogging friends.

NanaNor's said...

Dear Kathleen, My daughter got me into blogging as a written journal for the grands and it is hard to believe that I was ever unsure about it. So many friends later, it has enriched my life. I will say my first posts were so boring and plain-I can't believe anyone would want to read what I wrote. Your writing has always motivated me and encouraged my faith, so well done girl. Keep posting. You are a blessing to so many.
Noreen

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

From those of us in the blogging community, we love your perspective and your sassy-ness!!!

Keep it coming!!!!!
R

Thoughts for the day said...

That sassy granny comment made me laugh. I think I discovered your blog about a year or so ago? My blog will be three years old this fall. Congratulations to both of us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Trail blazers . . . that's what we were in those beginning days. Like you, I didn't have a clue what a blog was; I was quickly sucked in and started making some wonderful connections that have turned in to valuable, lasting friendships. So what's next for all of us?

I hope blogging or some version therein will always be part of our lives. I always love reading your heart. You are so much more than sassy. You are CLASSY, and I love you dearly. Dearly. Dearly. Dearly.

peace~elaine

Melanie Dorsey said...

Oh boy. I felt much the same when I began blogging in the fall of 2008. I almost gave it up 3 months later. I'm so glad I didn't. I sure needed the prayer support and encouragement when our sweet boy was dx with cancer and then left this earth.
I hope one day to also be a Sassy Granny. But I've joked with my kids for years that I want to be called GrandMa-Ma and that's not grandmama. But I joke. Mimmy will do nicely.

manthano said...

We all rejoice in that you have kept your
blog going. We appreciate it and hope
you will bless us with at least another
five years.

Thank you for the blessing you have been
and God bless you.

Denise said...

Blog land is blessed to have you, love you my friend.

Kay said...

I'm glad you're here and that we've gotten to know each other via the interwebs. : ) I was the same as you in many ways. Even though I knew what I blog was, it took me a while to decide to jump in and join the online community. And I was scared somebody would read in my early days too. And now comments are great fun for me. Funny how our perspectives change as we find our voices online.

Maryann said...

You know I don't remember how I found yur blog but I sure am glad that I did. I like you was a closet blogger for many months and had no idea that there was an actual community out there. You have been a blessing, hope that you will continue your blogging for a long time to come

Betty said...

I am too glad you took Michael advice...very good post. Reminded me of my early post and I was scared to death I was going to say something to offend. I started when we were in Papua New Guinea, half way around the world and it was so encouraged when I read others post. Willian Thackeray quote is so true. I have thousands of notes on paper which I will leave to my children so why not blog. Both my childen love the fact I do facebook, blog, etc. Thanks for the refreshing post. Blessings

Debbie Petras said...

I'm so glad you took Michael's advice and started blogging. If not, I'd never have met you. And frankly, I've grown to love you so.

I'm glad to learn the story with Elaine. How wonderful that she was your first follower. And she wanted a sassy granny. So glad you are Sassy Granny!

Love you,
Debbie

Terri Tiffany said...

I felt the need to stop by today and am I glad I did. I can't believe you have been posting that long. Not sure how long I've been part of it here but it feels like forever and I have loved watching and reading about your journey. Thanks for taking us back!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I am still newer than you on this blogging, but I know that I have learned a lot from you and so thankful I can stop in and glean your from your riches.

Sonja said...

I remember when you were one of the first 3 blogs I accidentally found. Like you, I was clueless. I hit a button, and all of a sudden there was my blog.

It is a treasure to 'know you' through these pages. There is such a heart connection, and I am so thankful for the friendship and the challenge that I always find here. :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Our grandchildren quote one verse after their dinner prayer every evening. The verse is James 1:17. You and your blog are certainly one of the "good and perfect gifts" that God has blessed me with in my life. I don't know how I first discovered your blog, but I know it was God who led me to it. You continue to challenge, inspire, make me smile, and encourage me on this journey through life. Thank you so very much!