Friday, August 3, 2012

Are You Serious?



WARNING:  What follows might well be labeled a rant

In utter disbelief I sat there with my jaw resting somewhere near the floor.  Had I actually heard what I'd just heard?  Was this guy serious?  He seemed serious.  With the straightest face & innumerable hallelujahs he sure sounded like he was serious.

Had I not heard it with my own ears I would have scoffed & laughed it off.  I scoffed anyway, but I had difficulty laughing.  Without naming names, the following items were actually a part of the preposterous litany testimony that I heard: 
  • People without limbs grew new ones. 
  • A man with steel rods in his leg had the rods disappear & new bones grow instead.
  • Obese people instantly lost all their weight.
  • People who were bald grew hair right before your eyes.
  • Teeth that had been filled with alloy suddenly turned to gold fillings.
I have long harbored a skeptical eye towards the sensational, especially when wielded with showmanship.  I am gravely concerned when men or women rally masses of people to demonstrate God's glory by way of miraculous signs & wonders, ostensibly for His glory.  I have often wondered why such gatherings entail crowds, faith offerings, stadiums or fanfare since I've not found a precedent for such in the scriptures. 

I also wonder why these ministers aren't quietly & humbly working alongside doctors or missionaries, or at senior centers if their healing powers are so potent.  I wonder a lot.    

It concerns me, too.  Unbelievers have a field day with the audacious claims & demonstrations that accompany the sort of reports I've noted above.  It's even worse when the Media gets ahold of it.  God's Name is sullied. 

With all my heart I believe God can & does do sensational, miraculous things.  I've been beneficiary of His providential moves.  I've seen Him heal, or restore, or replenish.  From nowhere & nothing have come solutions or opportunities that could ONLY have come by His hand.  And because He does such amazing things, I am not in the least bit surprised that some attempt to harness that power for a variety of reasons; reasons that often have the look of personal gain.  And there's plenty of it, personal gain - - be it money, power or pomp.  Oh how the flesh does love center stage!

The true hypocrite is the one who
ceases to perceive his deception,
the one who lies with sincerity. 
~ André Gide

I am now in the process of searching far & wide for at least one credible report & endorsement of someone without a hand or foot having grown one miraculously.  You'd think so great a sign would be easy to find.  You'd think. 

There's a reason Snopes & Factcheck & Youtube do such a booming business.  There's also a reason so many oversight groups probe deeply into the abuses men put forth in the name of God. 

End of rant.


Beloved, do not believe every spirit,
but test the spirits to whether they are from God,
because many false prophets have gone out
into the world.  By this we know the Spirit of God:
every spirit that confesses
that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh
is from God; and every spirit that does not confess
Jesus is not from God;
this is the spirit of the antichrist,
of which you have heard that it is coming,
and now is already in the world.
You are from God, little children,
and have overcome them;
because greater is He who is in you
than he who is in the world.
They are from the world;
therefore they speak as from the world,
and the world listens to them.
We are from God; he who knows God listens to us;
he who is not from God does not listen to us.
By this we know the spirit of truth
and the spirit of error.” 
~1 John 4:1-6
 





 

9 comments:

RCUBEs said...

So much deception!!! And scary when the enemies' tactics come subtly...Even into the church body...I am grateful we have His Word to expose these lies!

Denise said...

Wrong, wrong. Thanks for sharing.

Patrina's Pencil said...

You said this well, Jesus is smiling at you. Your words are truth...His TRUTH brings life. In truth, there is no deception.

thanks for ranting :)

Patrina <")>><

manthano said...

If I remember right, the Scriptures teach that in
the last days there would be false prophets.

Looks like you are putting your finger on some.

Thanks for the post.

Sonja said...

Perhaps one of my very favorite of your posts! I stand up and salute in agreement with another big AMEN!! :)

My rant...

Where oh where are those 'miracles' the 'prophet' has proclaimed?? And yet, like you, I KNOW He does miracles, I too have the proof in my own life.

end of rant...

Debbie Petras said...

I am with you on this one! Yes, God can perform miracles. He can heal. He can transform a life submitted to Him. But I sometimes feel like these people are selling snake oil. It makes anyone who calls themselves Christians look bad to those who don't understand.

Preach on Sister Kathleen!

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Sarah (Nikki) said...

Wow...you said what I think. There's a so called preacher around here who claims to do incredible things but all of us know he's blowing smoke. It's all not true. The sad thing is that some places let him stand up and speak and some believe.

Your rant got through to me. Thanks Sassy....you hit it right on.

Just a little something from Judy said...

The Truth...and the lies. What a vast difference between the two. The sadness of it all is when the difference is clouded and the two are hard to tell apart. Fortunately, God's Truth will always be exposed by God Himself. I am finding it to be that God's Truth will be made clear in the end, and His Truth always wins. Well written post. Counterfitting the Truth is the enemy's goal.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I'm right there with you in your ''rant'' ! And it's so very needful to follow the scriptures and "test the spirits to see whether they are from God". I've just had some horrible times lately from someone who said the ''spirit'' was telling them evil things about me! Really weird....and scary!

God bless you for speaking up and out!

Marilyn...in Mississippi