Saturday, August 25, 2012

105 Years Young

A mother's happiness is like a beacon,
lighting up the future but reflected
also on the past in the guise of fond memories. 
~Honoré de Balzac
 
 
Helen Evelyn Grinnell-Wells

 
 
 
August 26, 1907  -  March 16, 1976
 
 
 
The young & lively Helen
 


 
Stealing (or should I say "catching"?)
Dad's heart with a fishing pole
(She never learned to swim.)
 

 
Forever in love
 


 
Our heritage ... love & affection
 
 
 
Mom with three of her four girls.
She "spit shined" us - -
even for a day at the beach.
(L-R: Dolores, Mom holding Kathleen, Carol)
 
 
She loved gardening.
(And I loved sneaking & eating
the peas right out of the shell)
 
 
Their last trip together ...
 
 
Mother & her girl collection. 
Oh how she loved us!
This was an annual event:  Mother
taking us out to celebrate
our collective birthdays.
(L-R: Barbara, Dolores, Carol, Mom, Kathleen)
 
 
 
Happy Birthday, Mom.
 
 
If you have a mom, there is nowhere you
are likely to go where a prayer has not already been. 
~Robert Brault
 
 
A mom's hug lasts long after she lets go. 
~Author Unknown


I miss thee, my Mother! Thy image is still
The deepest impressed on my heart.

~Eliza Cook








10 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Oh precious Kathleen, from time to time we connect on FB but I have missed our blog connection and have enjoyed reading through a few of your posts today.

This one had me in tears... the beautiful photos and memories of your Mom is so precious and the love of sisters! Both loves I never knew and often desired. I do have the love of brothers.

What a legacy of absolute love your Mom has left for all of you to cherish. Thank you for sharing her with us today.

I love you my friend.

Sonja said...

We share the same kind of heart toward our mothers. Mine also would have had a birthday on August 18, so she has been especially on my mind. It would have been birthday #100 for her. Thank you for expressing what I feel, one more time. :)

Hugs!

RCUBEs said...

No words...Just "beautiful!" I enjoyed the pictures and the stories about your loving mother. Heart-warming indeed!

Rebecca said...

What sweet honors you pay your mother here as her birth day approaches.... Our firstborn's (daughter) birthday is also on the 26th and my brother's! We have much to celebrate and thank our Lord for, don't we?

May your smiles and tears be blessed, Kathleen.

Debbie Petras said...

Kathleen, I immediately picked you out in that last photo. You are still just as pretty.

What a wonderful mom you had. I had to laugh at the spit shine bit. Mine was like that too. We didn't have much money for store bought clothes but she made mine and they were always clean. :)

I loved reading about your mom.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love spending time with my mom. She's been my rock in the past two years, and we've grown to know and appreciate one another as friends. I can't bear thinking about one day being separated from her. For now, I just enjoy each moment we get to share with one another. My mom is awesome. I know you'd love her.

peace~elaine

Denise said...

Sweet friend, this truly touched my heart. Beautiful tribute to your angel mom. I am sure she and my mom are good friends. I love you.

Diana Ferguson said...

Loved this post. Miss my mom!!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

What wonderful memories! From the pictures it looks like your Mother was a Sassy Granny herself! :) She seemed like she was one who knew what she wanted and went after it. I love that trait. I don't have it though. ha

Thanks so much for sharing her life through pictures with us!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Just a little something from Judy said...

When Helen stood at the altar on her wedding day, she could never have imagined what gifts she would be given in her future. What a beautiful family of girls she has! The tribute you gave her and the love behind each word is something every mother would dream of receiving. I love the last picture of her and your dad. You can tell they love each other. Someday you will get to hug her again.