Friday, July 13, 2012

The Power to Grasp


I pray that you, being rooted and established in love
may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, 
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep 
is the love of Christ,
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge
that you may be filled to the measure
of all the fullness of God. 
~ Ephesians 3:17-19

More often than not I find myself scratching my head over various items I discover in the scriptures.  It is an age-old quandary: the more we know, the more we know that we don't know much.  We see evidence of that at large, as well as between Christian worldviews/denominations.  We even see it between believers with similar worldviews.  

Yet, when I consider this one brief passage, the fog lifts.  No reach is complete until it has a grasp on that for which it reaches.

I can search out knowledge & understanding - - and I do.  I'm a staunch advocate of academia & reason.  It is often a delineation between folly & wisdom.  But to effectively understand God's word (and thus, His ways), liberal applications of love are vital.  All the more needful if I actually hope for something apart from a slippery grip. 

Whenever I have the pleasure & privilege of seeing life through the eyes of my 2 year old grandson, Kole, I marvel.  He slips his little hand - often sullied by sand or mud - into mine.  He grasps that he is safe with me; and trusts me to lead him (until, that is, he takes a notion to go another way).  He does not yet grasp that he doesn't & can't know everything. 

" ... how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ ... " 

I wonder if my tone, or my intentions, or my actions would be different if I fully grasp that?

Beware lest you lose the substance
by grasping at the shadow. 
~Aesop

6 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Ah yes, without love we are like a resounding gong or a clanging symbol, right? So thankful for the high, deep, wide, and long love of our Lord!

Sonja said...

oh yes! I get this one...'I'm a staunch advocate of academia & reason. It is often a delineation between folly & wisdom'... me too! God's ways don't need our wisdom and reason, and I'm reminded of that over and over. His ways are clear, and the wisdom is unimaginable... He has it all covered! The very best of my imaginings don't begin to see the depths of His wisdom!

Glenda said...

Love your illustration of your little grandson holding your hand . . . and the reminder that He IS love!!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

i have always loved those verses in Ephesians and I love the illustration you used.

I can't believe that Kole and my little grandson Silas are 2 already! And Silas will be a big brother in about 2 1/2 weeks!

Denise said...

Really enjoyed this.

Debbie Petras said...

What a beautiful illustration of trust and love with your grandson. To be able to truly let go and fully trust ...

I do know that God is trustworthy. I want to hold on to the Ephesians Scriptures you quoted. It's truly amazing and overwhelming that He loves us like this. And yet ...He does.

Blessings and love,
Debbie