Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lessons from the Shadows


For the longest time I lay there, quietly assessing that thing moving across the wall of my bedroom.  It was the blackest of night, and I was absolutely certain I was doomed.  Wishing I had a gun, or at the very least a guard dog, I held my breath - as if to do so would make me invisible.

After no few moments of heart-pounding trepidation I realized I'd arrived at a false conclusion.  That threatening thing - that figure on the wall was nothing but a shadow.  The night's gentle wind had stirred a large Fir bough which, turn, was wafting itself up & down.  It's shadow appeared before me - as if pretending to be a marauding intruder at the foot of my bed.  What was utterly convincing one moment, turned out to be folly the next.   

Once I figured out what I was up against, I realized the shadow was merely a dancing facsimile of the reality of the Fir's night antics.  Fear subsided, my breathing resumed.  My bug eyes were replaced with a faint smile and great relief.  No longer did it seem so prudent to purchase a fire arm. 



Shadows ... I wonder ...
  • how many of them come-and-go from my life as if the real deal? 
  • how many of them startle or frighten me, when the reality would do anything but that? 
  • how many of them I don't even notice, when to do so would summon my eye to some great thing, or something of beauty? 
I wonder ...
He that dwelleth in the
secret place of the most High
shall abide under the
shadow of the Almighty.
~ Psalm 91:1

LEXICON

He that dwelleth
yashab (yaw-shab')
to sit down (specifically as judge. in ambush, in quiet); by implication, to dwell, to remain; causatively, to settle, to marry


in the secret
cether (say'-ther)
a cover (in a good or a bad, a literal or a figurative sense) -- backbiting, covering, covert, disguise(-th), hiding place, privily, protection, secret(-ly, place).


place of the most High
elyown (el-yone')
an elevation, i.e. (adj.) lofty (compar.); as title, the Supreme -- (Most, on) high(-er, -est), upper(-most).


shall abide
luwn (loon)
to stop (usually over night); by implication, to stay permanently; hence (in a bad sense) to be obstinate (especially in words, to complain)


under the shadow
tsel (tsale)
shade, whether literal or figurative -- defence, shade(-ow).


of the Almighty
Shadday (shad-dah'-ee)
the Almighty -- Almighty.

A 'shadow' is an image cast by a person or object, as that person or object intercepts a light source. The dictionary defines a 'shadow' as, "an imperfect image or copy".  This is interesting as it shows the 'shadow' is far removed from its cause, and is therefore to be seen as vastly inferior to its 'antitype', the person or object which forms it.
  

9 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Okay Lord I am hearing you loud and clear...and again, through your servant Katherine.

I will abide in the shadow of the Almighty...as He sheds His light on the situation that looks scary to me right now!

Sonja said...

I love the way your mind works, and the beautiful way your pen spells it out. LOVE this!!

Shadows indeed... it makes me wonder too, how many times I've 'seen'them, or 'missed' them.

You always make me smile, and ALWAYS make me think! :)

manthano said...

Appreciate the post.
Especially the treatment of Psalms 91:1
That's where I want to stay.
THANKS.

RCUBEs said...

It is by observing shadows from behind me and by hearing that helps me be alert in my workplace...

It's interesting what an active imagination does. How often my heart can mislead me if not for His wisdom?

Thanks be to God for His protection. The shadow of His wings spread upon those who fully trust in Him! The only shadow that never changes...the shadow that never frightens but empower us instead.

Denise said...

I truly love your writing.

Debbie Petras said...

I know where I'm going to abide! It's the only safe place to be.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Just a little something from Judy said...

You reminded me of how many needless worries I have over the shadows that I am faced with in life. Your mind and the way it works continually amaze me.

Karen Lange said...

I have had a similar thing happen to me. And I was glad no one else was around. :)

Love Psalm 91. It is one of my favorite passages.

Hope you have a lovely week!

Diana Ferguson said...

And I am so glad you did. I haven't had many opportunities lately to visit but you are not forgotten! Just a lot of medical (husband) and life stuff keeping me busy. Hugs!