Saturday, July 28, 2012

Keeping It Together


In the beginning was the Word, 
  and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
He was with God in the beginning. 
Through Him all things were made;
without Him nothing was made that has been made. 
In Him was life,  
and that life was the light of all mankind.
The light shines in the darkness,  
and the darkness has not overcome.
~ John 1:1-5

For in Him (Jesus) all things were created: 
things in heaven and on earth,
visible and invisible,
whether thrones or powers
or rulers or authorities; 
all things have been created through Him
and for Him.
He is before all things, and
in Him all things hold together.
~ Colossians 1:15-17


Few among us would look to the stars or sun only to deduce a randomness or accidental happenstance in order to account for them.  Same with the ocean depths, or the embryo, or the song of birds.  All that our eyes can behold, and all of what our ears can hear (aided or unaided) is complex, diverse, majestic, mysterious & awe-inspiring.  And that's to say nothing of the worlds that are, as yet undiscovered.  Even that, I believe, is by design. 

Everywhere life's grandeur summons us to behold the Designer.  From there - the beholding place - it's easy to surmise that He longs to be known.  

I have no difficulty believing the Genesis story just as it's told; nor in seeing God's hand in the glorious sweeps & brushstrokes of all that is evidenced before me.  From nothing - nada, zilch, zip -comes everything. 

To think He thought of/designed it.  Wow!  Just Wow. 
To think that He brought it into existence.  Gulp!
To think that He holds it all together, even today.  Incredible! 

What fear & wonder & joy consumes me, especially as I consider that I fit into each of those categories too.   


For even if there are so-called gods,
whether in heaven or on earth
(as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 
yet for us there is but one God, the Father,  
from whom all things came and for whom we live;
and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom all things came and
through whom we live. 
~ 1 Corinthians 8:5-6


Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom
and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!  
“Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?”  
“Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?”  
For from Him and through Him
and for Him are all things.
To Him be the glory forever!
Amen. 
~ Romans 11:33-36

6 comments:

Sarah (Nikki) said...

I love the John verses the most. Everytime I read it I feel this peace inside. Thanks for this amazing post....amazing design...awesome!!!

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I am applauding...yes, and Amen...He is awesome and so is His creation!!

Just a little something from Judy said...

THIS IS THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER READ SINCE I ENTERED THE BLOGGING WORLD! This was the contents of our last year Bible Study and I treasure every word you shared. It is what makes life worth living and you, my friend shared it in such a powerful way. Thank you so much! What an amazing God we serve!

Peggy said...

A beautiful post!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Would you just come on over to my blog and write your heart there for a season? Honestly, your pen flows with all the creativity of our God. You have a way with words that stuns me in my steps. One doesn't have to look too far into your life to see the richness of God. He has redeemed every fiber of your past and is using it all for his glory!

If you ever want to be a guest at my place, the invitation is open!

You are my treasured friend.

peace~elaine