Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To the Hagios of Cyberspace & Round 'Bout

As I read Paul's greeting to the Corinthians (1:2), I am again struck anew by his use of the term saints“To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord ... "  

The words sanctified and holy come from the same Greek root as the word, Hagios, that is commonly translated saints.  It means separated ones, holy ones.  It is the process by which God makes of me a new, holy creation & a member of the Body of Christ.  Thus, as a Christian, I am a saint by virtue of my connection with/to Jesus Christ.  I am called to be a saint; and called to increasingly allow my daily life to more closely resemble His. 

Mind you, this is a process.  For surely my days of looking & acting saintly (not to be confused with sanctimonious) have increased over time ... and with a lot of room yet to grow.  But the fact is, I am different than I was those many long years ago when at first I believed & was saved.  

I stand amazed today at what God does within His saints ... sometimes slowly, over time; sometimes as if overnight.  It's as if I waken some morns to find that He's applied a whole new coat of paint to my heart, or planted a rose garden where once thistle were rooted.  Things look different when He's doing what He does best.  People too.

I've no doubt that the song Amazing Grace has the power it does because it so sweetly frames the sinner-to-saint mechanism.  From wretch to saint.  How humbling, especially as I consider Who & how it's even possible.  No wonder it is so sweet a sound. 

Grace & peace to you - the Hagios of cyberspace & round 'bout.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

 

8 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

That is my favorite song--can't sing it without tears.

Denise said...

Have always loved this song.

skoots1mom said...

sang this each night to my collegegirl as she was growing up...she didn't like it if i skipped a verse, hahah!

NanaNor's said...

Wonderful post dear one! Love this song as well. His work is new every morning and I'm so very thankful!
Love, Noreen

Peggy said...

Jesus has really been working on my heart to transform me to be more "saintly" during this time of having back pain. Butraise the Lord for whatever means He has to use to change me.

Maryann said...

My walk does look different than it did even five years ago but I am so aware of how much more I need to be transformed, aren't you thankful there is much grace avaliable to us while the transformation continues to takes place

Just a little something from Judy said...

The older I grow in my Christian life, the more powerfully I see His Amazing Grace in my life. Many a day I wonder how it could be that He loves me so. I treasure this post, because it certainly does make you real, like one of us. I see God and His grace shining out through you and your words. I appreciate that so much. I read recently that when Paul greets the believers at some of the churches, he does with "Grace and Peace" to you. The author said that without "grace" there could never be "peace".

Karen Lange said...

It is a process, I agree. I am somewhere on that road, and very grateful for His patience and grace.
Thank you, Kathleen, for this boost today.

Have a great weekend,
Karen