Monday, June 25, 2012

Conquerors Conquer



Seems fairly straightforward: conquerors conquer.  That's their job.  They even have a job title:  Conquistador.  And once they've conquered this, they go on to conquer that.  Think Alexander the Great, Ghenghis Kahn, Charlemagne, Augustus Caesar.

Conquerors never tire of conquering.  They die on the battlefield. 

In many renderings, their conquerings are called campaigns.  Of that, Merriam tells us it's a connected series of military operations forming a distinct phase of a war, or a connected series of operations designed to bring about a particular result.
Either way, no conquering ... no victory.

Loved, known, predestined, called, justified, glorified ...
What, then, shall we say in response to these things?

If God is for us, who can be against us?   

Who will bring any charge against those
whom God has chosen?

It is God who justifies. 

Who then is the one who condemns?  No one.
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? 
Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or
famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors 
through him who loved us.
~ Romans 8:29-37 (portions)

There have been times when I've layed wounded out on the battlefield - tired, bloodied, and feeling anything but a Conquistadoress.  My armor looks like a poorly crafted tuna fish can that's been opened with a jack hammer.  My boast is that I'm not dead ... little more. 

But then - mysteriously & miraculously - I find myself standing up again, strengthened.  I gather my wits, grip my sword, hop aboard my steed & begin scanning God's plan for the next campaign. 

In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. 
And his commands are not burdensome, 
for everyone born of God overcomes the world.
This is the victory that has overcome the world,
even our faith.
Who is it that overcomes the world?
Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.  
~1 John 4:2-5 

No wonder He tells us that we are far MORE than Conquistadors like Ghengis Kahn or Charlemagne.  They were the garden varierty, plain old conquerors - no more, no less.  That can't be said of we Conquistadoresses!  Love makes it so.  

A word of caution:  I learned from a decorated military general (a friend & neighbor), that the most dangerous time in battle is the one immediately following your victory.  He would advise:  be grateful, but don't waste a moment in folly.  Remain in your armor, and be vigilant.  

Be careful that victories do not
carry the seed of future defeats.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


So ... it would appear that we are always & forever more than conquerors.  Either we're readying for a campaign, in the midat of the campaign, or wrapping up the campaign - and then it begins again (if ever it even ends).  No matter where we fall (pun intended) in the equation, we can be 100% certain of victory. 

Alexander & Caesar didn't have such good odds.


Every conquering temptation represents
a new fund of moral energy. 
Every trial endured and weathered in the right
spirit makes a soul nobler and
stronger than it was before. 
~ William Butler Yeats

12 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I was crying out this morning that I was tired of the battle, and I wanted to just give in...I kept reading scriptures on courage...thanks for the confirmation and encouragement.

Yes, I know the fact that the strongest battle is after the victory...I remember David, and so many of my friends...that is a good warning...thanks

Denise said...

Amen.

skoots1mom said...

a vision of His continual protection over us as we wear His Armor ;)

...and i'd love to stroll along the shore with you, then have a nice chamomile tea ;)

Karen Lange said...

This is wonderful, Kathleen. I was thinking along these lines this morning while looking about the house for my tuna fish can armor (I have some too:). It really is a blessing how timely your posts always are! Thank you.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Thank you for this powerful post; I've been there many times-on the battle field, ready to give up but it is His grace that keeps me steady. I'm off to visit our friend Janette now and lift her up.
Hugs, Noreen

Debbie said...

I have sure found myself on the battle field this last week or so. How true this all is. I am weary, weak, and soo close to giving up. And yet this is all so true. Thanks for the encouraging words and post! HUGS

Debbie said...

Sometimes it can be all too easy to forget that it is a daily battle. But thanks be to God that we are on the winning side. He is the true Conqueror. There are times when I have to remind myself that "greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world".

This reminds me of the song "Onward Christian Soldiers". It's been a long time since I sang that one but we are in a battle, aren't we?

Btw, yes I am home in Arizona again. I had two wonderful trips and now I am in the process of getting settled in our condo. I'll email you.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Great post and sound advice!

I think we could learn a lot from the tactics of natural warfare. The enemy of our souls loves to attack after a great victory. Think of Elijah and what he went through after defeating the prophets of Baal.

Cheryl Barker said...

Wise warning from your military general friend. Reminds me 1 Cor. 10:12 - "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"

Peggy said...

God tells us we are more than overcomers. And we can be with His power. Thanks for the reminder.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Let me tell you my friend, I could relate to this post more than any you have shared lately. The battles seem so powerful at times and seem to be everywhere. Then i find myself running to The Rock and finding shelter and comfort. Quite honestly, most of the times I want to just stay hidden there. This just encouraged my heart and was the reminder I so needed in the midst of battle. I forget so often how much of a conquerer I am in Jesus Christ.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

The campaigns I've been involved with feel endless. Just when one wraps up, I find that I'm already in the middle of another one. Sometimes I forget my status--the conquering one. It's in those times when I feel the weight of the battle most profoundly. It's so important to stay grounded in truth and in the Word.

Thank you for this reminder. I shall carry it forth and conquer this week!

peace~elaine