Monday, May 21, 2012

Undercover Boss

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for human masters ...
~ Colossians 3:23

Reality T.V. shows abound in these days of existential living.  I confess, there are a few that I enjoy - shows like Extreme Home Makeover, Say Yes to the Dress & American Idol.  But my favorite just has to be Undercover Boss.

Having worked most of my life, and having had responsibility for sizable numbers of people, I recognize that not all bosses have a clue about what really happens in the warp & whistle of day-to-day business, or even ministry.  So it is that I'm fascinated when business owners, corporate presidents & board room executives set aside their Louis Vuitton shoes for work boots. 



The shows premise:  A high ranking executive of a major business goes incognito (and undercover) to work among the rank & file.  There they witness the true dynamics at play and get to meet the people that make up the gears of their enterprise. 

It's funny. There's plenty of story line, and often employees say or do something utterly hysterical, or wrong - - not knowing who is witnessing their faux pas (or worse). 

Mostly it's heart-warming. The executives meet people who are faithfully, humbly & skillfully carrying out their work - - never for a moment thinking there's any reward beyond their paycheck, and completely unaware of who is their witness. 

As the show ends, the executive introduces their REAL self, often with tears because of how touched they've been by the individual they're addressing.  It is then that he/she lavishes some reward - paying off a debt, a promotion, providing for a college tuition, cash bonus, etc. - on the now incredulous employee. 

I cry every time.

I also realize that it's exactly what's happening in my own life, 24/7. 

As I go throughout my day, accomplishing this or that (or not), there are a set of eyes witnessing it all.  Whether my work be behind the counter at McDonald's, in the laundry room at home, in the executive offices of a business, or ministering in a church, it is work that has been given unto my hands for a purpose. 

Nothing is too insignificant or grandiose to warrant anything other than my very, humble best.  Or, as Oswald Chambers would say: My utmost of His highest!

Just recently I undertook a significant doing.  As the day wrapped, I felt a little discouraged, let down.  As I probed beneath the surface of my attitude, it was then that His still small voice asked:  "So tell me Kathleen, who was it you were serving in this endeavor?" 

Right then & there the Undercover Boss of my life reminded me that He saw it all.  My efforts had not been in vain, nor had they gone un-noticed. 

It was reward enough.

Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do
for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. 
 ~ Matthew 25:45

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do it all for the glory of God. 
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed,
 do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks
to God the Father through him. 
~ Colossian 3:17

19 comments:

Rebecca said...

Gary and I have watched Undercover Boss a couple of times. I never thought about it like THIS before! You're SO right, Kathleen.

(I have thought about all the other employees who work hard, too, while some are singled out for the generous monetary rewards lavished on so few....I wonder how they feel.
I guess there is a parable in the Bible about that, too!)

Miss Janet said...

That is one show we watch as a family. We record it and when we have a slow evening, we watch it together.

Seems as though we have similar taste in shows. I probably watch a show that I've recorded about once a week as I don't watch much TV. The one's I do like are Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta (they seem to be less sleazy), Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and Undercover Boss. That's pretty much it!

You are a blessed lady!

Janet

www.janetpowers1.etsy.com
www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Glenda said...

Oh, my! Did God whisper to you, "Write this for one of your blogger friends whose name begins with a G"? :) I needed this beautifully-written reminder!

Debbie said...

I have never seen that show, but I am going to look for it now. It sounds like something I would love for sure.

I really feel the Lord is trying to tell me something with the theme your post is, and a very similar one my daughter wrote. She was talking about how soo many of the things we do as mom's are never noticed, and seemingly unappreciated. And yet of course He notices, and He appreciates. She is building castles for the future with the time she is putting into her baby. I couldn't help of course comparing it to myself and the MANY MANY unnoticed and feeling unappreciated things that go into caring for older parents. There is a season for it all, and yet the same truth draws us altogether. Hope you have a good week!

RCUBEs said...

The first time I'd seen it, I couldn't change the channel and I couldn't get up, not wanting to miss any part of that episode...I believe those who had gone up to the ladder so quick often if not forget, truly do not have a clue of what goes on to those below them. It's sad when they end up not caring for employees' concerns. That's why I like the show I think, most of the time, those CEO's are being humbled.

To think that everything we do is being recorded...Geez...I pray that there are not a lot written in "red's" (errors... :) Kidding aside, that's what helps me endure...The thought of Him watching us and me, down here...working for no one but Him...

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I love this show and probably most of the others you listed-so many of the CEO's are such kind folks, who simply are not in touch with the working folks. I'm so thankful that He is in touch with every detail of our lives. Nothing is hidden from His sight. Great post Kathleen.
Hugs to you today.
Noreen

Betty said...

Great wisdon in your post. Great picture of our Lord and how He sees EVERYTHING. I mean that is what we tell our kids isn't it. "I (the parent ) may not see everything you (our kids) do but God sees you. Hummmmmmm

By the way I cry every time I see it too. I would be very disappointed if the "under cover boss" was not touched by those who do their job without complaining.

Good post. Blessings

Sonja said...

I really have enjoyed that show too, it's brought tears many times. But I've never thought of it like this before and you are so right. None of our efforts and our service go without notice, never mind what others may see or miss. God misses none of it. He also examines my motives and lets me know that they were right on... or maybe not. :)

Good words my friend!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

That is one of the few reality shows I watch and I am always inspired by it. The thing that inspires me the most is so many people work for such little money and they don't complain. Many even hold two jobs and even though they don't know it is the boss they don't complain.

You have now brought it all the way home...and this complainer has been complaining too much in front of her BOSS...thanks so much for the gentle rebuke.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a beautifully written post sweetie! May I give a big AMEN here!!!

Just think of what a wonderful world this would be if we took care of others the way Jesus would.

God bless ya sweetie and have an awesome day!!! :o)

myletterstoemily said...

my husband was asked to be an 'undercover'
boss but declined . . . thank goodness! he
was afraid his board would have a conniption
fit. :)

he's a pretty great boss, though. i guess
i'm biased. :)

Nancy said...

What a beautiful analogy.....Love the show and you have shown us in such a beautiful way how God is watching everything we do and with what attitude....

Love this post....

Susan (My Place to Yours) said...

I just discovered your blog and am now following. What a wonderful post. I MUST check out this show!

Beth E. said...

Well said, Sassy, and so true.

When I was a young mom, with diapers, bottles, toys, and laundry piled high...well, I admit my attitude was not always the best. I didn't see everything I was doing as being done for the Lord. Fortunately, God sent me a precious mentor who gently guided me, teaching me everything you have stated here.

Your post has brought back sweet memories of my friend, Betty. She's in heaven now, but what she taught me will always be with me.

Hugs...

Terri Tiffany said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder. Your blog looks good--did you do a makeover?

Saleslady371 said...

I love this!!!! Never seen the program, but I love you rendition of the Undercover Boss. And I have to say, you bring out the best in people. I bet you were an extraordinary boss in the workplace. You didn't mention my favorite, Dancing With The Stars. Guess you're not a dancer.

Karen Lange said...

What a wonderful parallel! Wrestling with some things along similar lines, working on dying to self, and other character things. So thankful for our heavenly Father's patience and grace!

I don't watch that much TV, but I too enjoy Say Yes to the Dress and a few others. :)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Karen

Just a little something from Judy said...

Did you ever feel like God's grasp your hand and heart and led you in the direction that He wanted you to go at the moment? That is what He did for me today, He led me here. Thank you so much for the kind and profound reminder of our wonderful "Undercover Boss". How easy to forget.

Denise said...

Sounds interesting.